Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have forgotten my administrator password on my old Mac Mini

I have forgotten my adminstrator password on my Mac Mini which is using Mac OS X version 10.7.5 I don't have an apple keyboard but a microsoft one instead and it's wireless. How does one reset the computer I don't need to save any files on it as I've already moved them to my new Mac Mini. I have tried doing the alt and the control and the Microsoft key all with both either R or S keys and nothing has worked. After I enter the wrong password three times it tells me I can login using my apple ID but then when I click the arrow to do that nothing happens. Please help me as I need this Mac Mini to be working.

Thanks so much.

Marc

Mac mini (Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 3:58 PM

Forgot Your Account Password

For Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

When the menubar appears select Terminal from the Utilities menu.

Enter resetpassword at the prompt and press RETURN. Follow

instructions in the dialog window that will appear.

Or see:

Reset a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Password

OS X Mountain Lion- Reset a login password,

OS X Mavericks- Solve password problems,

OS X Lion- Apple ID can be used to reset your user account password.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2014 3:58 PM in response to Marc J. Trottier

Forgot Your Account Password

For Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

When the menubar appears select Terminal from the Utilities menu.

Enter resetpassword at the prompt and press RETURN. Follow

instructions in the dialog window that will appear.

Or see:

Reset a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Password

OS X Mountain Lion- Reset a login password,

OS X Mavericks- Solve password problems,

OS X Lion- Apple ID can be used to reset your user account password.

I have forgotten my administrator password on my old Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.