Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import a png sequence?

So I have to import a lower thirds title for a project I am working on. It is a series of about 100 still image .png files. I followed what it told me to do here http://vimeo.com/37294550 but it still doesnt look right. Is that video the right process for what I am trying to do? Can I edit the txt in the lower thrids once it I get it working right? My friend has premiere and he says that all he has to do is hit the "image sequence" button before importing and it puts it into a moving image form instantly.

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 7:51 PM

4 replies

Feb 11, 2014 10:12 PM in response to flyswatter

In the Vimeo video he put his on a seperate "track" to create a transparency. Yes you can do that in FCP X.

If you just want to put a title using a lower third, drag and attach it over or under (hey, experiment) your image sequece track, select it make adjustment in the Inspector, adjust opacity as needed - or not. Did you pause the Vimeo video and catch his import and project settings? See how he selected all & changed the duration?

--- Good times. Ya Folla?

Feb 12, 2014 6:06 AM in response to flyswatter

While you can certainly do as is described in the video, it is a bit unwieldy to work with a lot of still images.

To my mind, a much neater workflow is to convert the image sequence to a movie file beforehand. You can do this and preserve transparency, too.

Two programs that can very easily open an image sequence and convert it to a quicktime movie are Motion 5, and Quicktime Player 7. Make sure that you save the movie in a codec that handles transparency - ProRes 4444 or Animation codec. Then just import the resulting movie to FCP X.

Feb 12, 2014 7:36 AM in response to flyswatter

If you need to edit the text, you should create a template in Motion.

Or only import the graphics (without text) and add a text layer in FCPX.

Or bring the files in as PS layers.

Interesting discussion over in the Compressor forum where we were surprised to discover that Compressor will not preserve the alpha channel for an image sequence exported to Pro Res 4444 or Animation. As Luis said, Motion does this perfectly well – as does Quick Time Pro.

Russ

Mar 1, 2015 10:05 AM in response to flyswatter

I am working on a similar project. This worked for me.

-once all png sequences are imported select them

-do ctrl + D and change duration to 1 (for 1 frame)

-Right click and make a new compound clip

This allowed me to make changes to one clip vs 2000 plus clips and saved the transparency qualities. I can change color/size pretty much anything I could do to the single png.

I hope this helps.

How do I import a png sequence?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.