Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to reinstall OS X Mavericks or Snow Leopard

My 27" imac crashed and would not restart. It all started when I was trying to run a time machine backup and I received a message saying that there was an error with my backup drive. I tried several times to backup to an alternative external drive but each time it failed. I then manually backed up all of my files to my alternative HD. I was almost finished when the computer crashed.

I booted up in recovery mode and ran disc utility. There was an error on the imac HD and I was unable to repair it so I erased the memory. I then tried reinstalling OS X but it takes about 13 hours to run and each time I go back to it, it is back to the recovery page.

I then tried to use the snow leopard disc that came with the computer. I erased he HD again and ran the install program several times but I am alway met by the same message... The installer could not copy the necessary support files. Click restart to restart your computer and try installing again. I have done this several times.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated?

iMac, I had upgraded to OS X Mavericks

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 10:19 PM

2 replies

Unable to reinstall OS X Mavericks or Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.