Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MPEG-2 Quicktime Component in Mac OS X Mavericks

I have a Macbook Pro running Mavericks (OS X 10.9.1 (13B42)). I followed the instrucitons in this discussion (https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3951) and 1. I downloaded the Streamclip for OS X (http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html ), and,

2. I purchased the Apple QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component.

Per the discussion above, I referred to teh streamclip site (squared5.com) for instructions on how to install the Apple QT MPEG2 Playback Component on my machnine - but it simply said to drag the icon into Applicaitons, which I did. It installed, but I am unable to open it BC I get a dialog box that says "QuickTime MPEG2.pkg ca't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer."

The discussion said I had to installt the QT PB component 1st, in order to open the Streamclip, but I can't open either one: I get the same error messagefor both ("unidentified developer").

Can someone please give me clearer instrucitons on exactly how I can open either of these adn get them installed, and then open my DVD VOB files in iMovie?

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your assistance.

Alison

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 5:47 AM

Open System Preferences / Security & Privacy / General tab and change the settings at the bottom of the window. Once you've installed the apps you can change the settings back.

The MPEG-2 Playback Component should install directly from the disk image you downloaded. Mount the .dmg file and double click on the component. It doesn't install in the Applications folder.

MPEG Streamclip is installed by dragging it from the disk image to the Applications folder and this is where it belongs.

Apple has included some basic MPEG-2 editing features since iMovie version 8 and the component is only used by MPEG Streamclip. If you can't get its installer to run you may have to visit the Streamclip page for the method on how to install it manually using drag and drop.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2014 5:47 AM in response to Alison Kelley

Open System Preferences / Security & Privacy / General tab and change the settings at the bottom of the window. Once you've installed the apps you can change the settings back.

The MPEG-2 Playback Component should install directly from the disk image you downloaded. Mount the .dmg file and double click on the component. It doesn't install in the Applications folder.

MPEG Streamclip is installed by dragging it from the disk image to the Applications folder and this is where it belongs.

Apple has included some basic MPEG-2 editing features since iMovie version 8 and the component is only used by MPEG Streamclip. If you can't get its installer to run you may have to visit the Streamclip page for the method on how to install it manually using drag and drop.

MPEG-2 Quicktime Component in Mac OS X Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.