Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 2.1.4 started crashing

I have worked with Aperture 2 (ver. 2.1.4) for several years. Lately it has started to crash continuously or stating unsupported image format despite working with images (raw format, canon 5D) I have worked with since 2009. I am panicking a bit, as I have more than 12,000 images from a travel through half the world, that I use every day and now cannot access any?

Anyway, I read on threads here that people with Aperture 3 are having the same problem, but no effective solution?

I have not installed any plug-ins other that what follows in standard updates from Apple. I do not work with the images in other programs.

The problems has started lately and just seem to get worse to an extent where I cannot work with any photo now.

So now I am in total panick!!

Yes, I know I should upgrade to Aperture 3, but as Aperture 3 seems to have the same problem for many working with raw images....?

What do I do?

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 1:28 AM

18 replies

Feb 12, 2014 2:32 AM in response to Zebra 202

Yes, I know I should upgrade to Aperture 3, but as Aperture 3 seems to have the same problem for many working with raw images....?

Keep in mind, that happy users are usually not posting here - Aperture 3.5.1 is working well for many of us with Mavericks, and Aperture 3 it is the only supported version for the newer MacOS X versions since Mavericks. Some Aperture 2 features simply do not work any longer, like the Loupe, but it should not crash. Nevertheless, I strongly recommend to upgrade to Aperture 3. Only, before upgrading, you should get Aperture2 to work again, so you can repair and rebuild all your Aperture libraries in Aperture 2 before upgrading. That is recommended by Apple, and will make the upgrade easier, see:

A note on upgrading your Aperture library (scroll down to the bottom of the ducoment)

also.

Aperture 3: Tips on upgrading an Aperture 2 library to Aperture 3

I am panicking a bit, as I have more than 12,000 images from a travel through half the world, that I use every day and now cannot access any?

First thing to do - check your backups, if they are current and working. If not, make an additional backup. I would not overwrite your previous backups right now.

How full is your system drive and the drive with your Aperture library? Do you have enough free disk space as working space for the system? Keep at least 20GB free; if the disk space becomes critically low, that may cause crashes.

What changed, directly before the crashes started? That might give us a clue. Did you install new software? Update software? Import new photos or videos? Did you move your library? Ran any cleaning/maintainance applications? Check all software on your system (preference panes/ device drivers, plug-ins (not only photo plug-ins, also video codecs, audio plug-ins), fonts, if they are compatible with Mavericks.

I dont have Aperture 2, so I cannot test it on Mavericks.

Your last import may have imported corrupted image files or videos, that cannot be processed and need to be removed. Or a crash may have corrupted the internal database files.

If you have ensured, that the library is backed up and you have only Mavericks compatible software installed, try, if repairing or rebuilding your library will help; see:

Aperture 2: Troubleshooting Basics

-- Léonie

Feb 12, 2014 3:00 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for the reply.

My backups seems to work fine when opened in e.g. image viewer, but not when imported to Aperture. I have a copy of all photos as raw files on an external drive.

My system drive was started to get full, but I recently cleaned it up, now with 101 GB free by deleting several movies I had on iTunes.

The latest updates are:

Compatibility for digital raw cameras ver. 5.03 (Jan. 17)

New iMovie ver. 10.0.2 (Jan 27), something went wrong during this update and it seems to have been installed twice according to App stores update log.

The problem seemed to slowly increase by first problems with one or two images then several and now all in the Aperture library.

Otherwise, I will try to follow your suggestions and return.

Thank you in advance!

Feb 12, 2014 3:22 AM in response to Zebra 202

Dear Léonie,

I have found what goes wrong!

When I start Aperture all photos are shown correctly in viewer and browser and is identified with the correct pixels, but as soon as I e.g. try to frame the photo the pixel count counts get ridicuolus large:

Example:

I open a 4368 x 2912 pixel photo in raw format. As soon as I try to do anything with the photo e.g. framing a part of the photo, the photo gets registered in the metadata as being (and I am not kidding)

340282346638528859811704183484516925440 x 340282346638528859811704183484516925440 pixel large and then Aperture crash after e.g. 10 seconds...

Although, I have no clue why this happens?

Feb 12, 2014 3:38 AM in response to Zebra 202

340282346638528859811704183484516925440 x 340282346638528859811704183484516925440 pixel large and then Aperture crash after e.g. 10 seconds...

😮 that looks like a program error, yor you are having serioud hardware trouble.

When you look at the crash log - do you see a similar notice as in this thread

Re: Aperture quits when trying to do anything. Anyone knows why?

If Aperture 2 also has an option "View > Onscreen proofing", disable it. That helped with similar "out-of-memory" crashes in Aperture 3.

Feb 12, 2014 4:24 AM in response to léonie

I get for example this error following e.g. new framing, and crash...

Thread 11 Crashed:

0 com.apple.CoreImage 0x9226df95 CoreImage_crashed_because_it_could_not_allocate_memory(void const*) + 17

I have tried to disable Oncreen proofing, but it seems that no matter what I do everything just crashes Aperture, even sometimes now just trying to open Aperture.

And thanks again for your help!

Feb 12, 2014 4:41 AM in response to Zebra 202

Test with a new Aperture libery and a small jpeg.

Does it also crash?

Test with a new Aperture libery and a small jpeg in a different user account, e.g. the Guest account.

Does it also crash?

open a 4368 x 2912 pixel photo in raw format. As soon as I try to do anything with the photo e.g. framing a part of the photo, the photo gets registered in the metadata as being (and I am not kidding)

Do you have iPhoto installed?

Can iPhoto process your raw files without crashing?

Can Preview display your jpegs?

Feb 12, 2014 4:50 AM in response to Zebra 202

Running Aperture 2 on Mavericks will never be a very good experience. You will be bumping up against errors like this all the time.

You should upgrade now before your libraries get corrupted beyond repair. In the meantime if you insist on running Aperture 2 on Mavericks make sure all your libraries are backed up and that the back ups work.

regards

Feb 12, 2014 5:22 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank,

definitey, Zebra 202 should upgrade asap. Only I think it is important to get Aperture 2 to run again before the upgrade, to be able to repair/rebuild the libraries using Aperture 2, as I explained in my first post. I am concerned, that the library upgrade to Aperture 3 might fail, if Zebra 202 tries it without repairing the libraries.

Or do you think it is too risky, to run Aperture 2's Library First Aid Tools on Mavericks at all?

Léonie

Feb 12, 2014 5:43 AM in response to léonie

I will upgrade. Thanks.

At the moment I am restoring my Aperture library from an earlier version on Time machine as Aperture it self just crash, so I cannot even test a new library and a small jpg or use Aperture 2's library First Aid...

I will loose my latest photos by restoring via Time machine, but I can live with that (they have to be retaken anyway). Unfortunately I only have an earlier version from a week ago and not longer back, as I had to make a new backup according to Time machine to ensure stability. However, I hope this backup will be okay.

The plan is to restore the Aperture library from Time machine and hereafter update to Aperture 3 without opening Aperture 2 after restoring the library. I hope that will work.

Thanks.

Feb 12, 2014 6:25 AM in response to léonie

Léonie,

Zebra's plan to restore from TM and go straight to Aperture 3 is, in my opinion, the best way to go at this point.

If that option was not available I would recommend a backup of the current library and Aperture 2 be made and them Aperture 3 installed and tried on the Aperture 2 library. If it works then fine the OP is done.

If it didn;t work then the attempt to get Aperture 2 to open and run on the library in order to try a repair could be done.

In general I think that doing anything with version 2 on Mavericks is a crap shoot and is to be avoided as long as there are other ways to go.

regards

Feb 12, 2014 6:36 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks, Frank.

Aperture 2's performance is getting worse with each new OS release.

In general I think that doing anything with version 2 on Mavericks is a crap shoot and is to be avoided as long as there are other ways to go.

I am afraid, you are right. I wish, there were a clear recommendation from Apple about Aperture 2 compatibility.

Léonie

Feb 12, 2014 6:46 AM in response to Zebra 202

I will loose my latest photos by restoring via Time machine, but I can live with that (they have to be retaken anyway).

Will it be necessary to overwrite your current library? If you have space on another external drive, you could save the library there. Perhaps you can retrieve last week's image files, if you save the library, before you restore from Time Machine.

Feb 12, 2014 12:30 PM in response to Zebra 202

Dear Léonie and Frank,

Thanks a lot for your help!

I restored my Aperture 2 library from Time machine (although the first attempt did not work, second did with different date) and then upgraded to Aperture 3.

It seems everything is working now, however, I have only made some limited tests, but it seems to work, not perfectly, some distorted shows in the browser, but photos okay in viewer and workable.

My panic is over (hopefully). Thanks for taken your time!

Aperture 2.1.4 started crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.