Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Space used to store music

My iTunes shows I use 38GB but on my Mac (About this Mac - Storage) Music is showing as 86GB.

Assuming (?) iTunes is right how do I clear 48GB (i.e. 86GB less 38GB) off my laptop?

Thank you for any advice.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 1:47 AM

12 replies

Feb 12, 2014 7:46 PM in response to peternevill

Depending how you added your music, you may have ended up with two copies of most songs - one in the iTunes Media folder and one in the original location.

The best way to clean up would be to first run Consolidate on your library, which will make sure that every track in the library has its file in the iTunes Media folder. Once you are sure Consolidate has completed successfully, any song file not in the iTunes Media folder is no longer needed.

Feb 13, 2014 5:30 AM in response to peternevill

Thank you. I seem to have two files:

itunes 49.7 GB and itunes media 48.23GB but I think itunes media is a sub folder of itunes.

Andrew,

Yes, in a normal set-up, iTunes Media is a sub-folder of the iTunes folder.

You may well be right there is another folder somewhere but when I type itunes into Finder these are my only two sources.

Do you have any music files located in folders that are not named "iTunes"?

Feb 13, 2014 6:06 AM in response to peternevill

I see you have an Amazon mp3 folder. How much is in there? It is possible when you added files from there to iTunes it (as ed2345 said) put copies in the iTunes folder and the originals are still in the other folder. The same may go for other folders hidden elsewhere on your computer.

Are you running OSX 10.6 as your profile says?

You have emptied your Trash recently?

Feb 13, 2014 1:54 PM in response to peternevill

You don't have Time Machine set to back up to the same hard drive?

Get info on a track in iTunes, then look at the summary information. Write down the exact name of the file being used. Go to Spotlight and search for that file name and see if it tells you if there are two copies and where each is. One should be in your media folder and the other is the culprit and may be surrounded by others.

Feb 15, 2014 4:51 AM in response to peternevill

You might try posting this suggestion on the system version forum for the system you are running (Mavericks?) I use an old system which does not show content type and does not have Time machine, etc. so I am having to remember what others have said in connection with this. Somebody there might recognize a particular issue. Post a link back to this discussion so others can see what was tried.

Omnidisksweeper also explores space use. If it still works with Mavericks you could see what it says.

Space used to store music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.