Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double Dutch?

On my iPad, I have purchased the garageband expansion stuff for E4.49. However, on my mac, the garageband app needs to buy that again, it does not share the iOS expansion already purchased. How can I sync this purchase between my Garagebands?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Garageband

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 5:01 AM

How can I sync this purchase between my Garagebands?

You cannot run iOS software on your mac. The software is written for completely different hardware and operating systems. You will have to buy a version of the extension, that runs on your mac.

BTW, the in-app purchases fro GarageBand iPad and GaraeBAnd Mac will bring very different additional content:

With a one-time in-app purchase of $4.99, you can expand this content to 200 sounds, 2,000 loops, 15 Drummers, and 40 guitar and piano Basic Lessons. You will also gain the ability to purchase additional Artist Lessons

-- Léonie

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2014 5:01 AM in response to jan116

How can I sync this purchase between my Garagebands?

You cannot run iOS software on your mac. The software is written for completely different hardware and operating systems. You will have to buy a version of the extension, that runs on your mac.

BTW, the in-app purchases fro GarageBand iPad and GaraeBAnd Mac will bring very different additional content:

With a one-time in-app purchase of $4.99, you can expand this content to 200 sounds, 2,000 loops, 15 Drummers, and 40 guitar and piano Basic Lessons. You will also gain the ability to purchase additional Artist Lessons

-- Léonie

Feb 12, 2014 5:38 AM in response to jan116

The instruments seems to be iOS or Mac specific to some degree. For example, a Hard Rock Guitar is not found in the Mac library, so you can't do anything with it in that respect. However, the Pro Logic iPad app (able to work with your Mac Garageband activity, as an additional pad or control) does provide the known instrument-specific guitar interface.

Feb 12, 2014 6:10 AM in response to jan116

My conclusion is that I understand to a certain degree how iOS and OS X differ, and how also the additional content is not the same offer. Yet I think it's just a bit weird how 'yes you can use' and 'no you can't use' intertwine in my example activity of importing an iOS ipad Garageband composition, to show up in Garageband OS X, with non-functionalities and non-referentiality (yet activating a free compatability download), while the (free) second-screen supportive Pro Logic iPad app does provide the interface: why can't I work with that instrument on my mac from scratch then? [By the way, I'm a noob in Garageband, please don't blame me if I missed some option or configuration!]

So to balance the difference arguments with some words from an integrality and unity perspective in order to get real I would state that iOS and OS X are both related OSs and if I buy something or have something at one device in the same-name application, reasonable usability logic provided, then it should be available likewise.

Double Dutch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.