Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I didn't ever enter my password wrong and my iPad still says it's disabled. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Any suggestions, ideas or info as to what could be going on?

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 6:39 AM

YOU NEED TO FORCE IPAD INTO RECOVERY MODE

1. Turn off iPad

2. Turn on computer and launch iTune (make sure you have the latest version of iTune)

3. Plug USB cable into computer's USB port

4. Hold Home button down and plug the other end of cable into docking port. Do not release button until you see picture of iTune and plug (very important)

5. Release Home button.

ON COMPUTER

6. iTune has detected iPad in recovery mode. You must restore this iPad before it can be used with iTune.

7. Select "Restore iPad"...

Note: Data will be lost

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2014 6:39 AM in response to DMTTC

YOU NEED TO FORCE IPAD INTO RECOVERY MODE

1. Turn off iPad

2. Turn on computer and launch iTune (make sure you have the latest version of iTune)

3. Plug USB cable into computer's USB port

4. Hold Home button down and plug the other end of cable into docking port. Do not release button until you see picture of iTune and plug (very important)

5. Release Home button.

ON COMPUTER

6. iTune has detected iPad in recovery mode. You must restore this iPad before it can be used with iTune.

7. Select "Restore iPad"...

Note: Data will be lost

Feb 12, 2014 7:01 AM in response to DMTTC

Might it be that a "friend"/roomie/obnoxious relative/general jerk played a sick joke on you by simply typing random passwords 10 times while you weren't looking? Been known to happen.

Regardless, if the device says it is disabled, there's no use arguing with the ailing robot; it is unmoved by any plea you may invoke. Do you have a backup?

Apr 9, 2014 4:29 PM in response to Courcoul

I just experienced the same thing this morning, and no one had possesion of my iPad but me. I was using in my hotel room while getting ready for work. Minutes later, downstairs, I went to open it, and it was disabled, telling me to wait 15 minutes. I rebooted it, and then it told me to wait an hour. I decided to leave it alone. I checked back periodically, and saw it was ticking down the time. Near what I would guess to be the half hour mark, I turned the screen on again, and it read "iPad is disabled. Connect to iTunes." No incorrect password was ever entered. I wasn't on a wi-fi network for someone else to try, either.

When I got home and connected it to the computer to which I'd previously synch'd it, iTunes sat on one screen for over an hour, waiting to access the iPad.

This device is only about 2 months old. I spoke with Apple Support and have an appointment to take it in to an Apple Genius Bar tomorrow. Fortunately, I don't have a lot of entries on it, and most are also either on my iMac or iPhone. Still, there are some data specific to it, as I hadn't backed it up (lesson learned).

My main point is, no one - including myself - entered a wrong password.

Jun 26, 2014 2:04 AM in response to DMTTC

I FIXED MINE WITHOUT RESTORING!

I had the same issue tonight (never had it before), I put my iPad, which is in a hard case which covers the screen, then into another bag and set off to a business meeting with iPad in my empty trunk, no way in **** any passcode could have been entered incorrectly even by accident. Took it out, opened it to the "iPad is disabled. Connect to iTunes".

I thought I was f--ked.

I tried everything when I got home, connected it to iTunes 11.2.2 on my iMac, and after about an hour of trying everything, I said screw it, I'm trying to hook it up to my MacBook, which the iPad was never synced with. My macbook is running iTunes 11.1.5, I never updated it to 11.2.2.

So I opened iTunes not sure what to expect but thinking that it may be a software thing, plugged the iPad in and the "DISABLED" screen still showed on my iPad.

However... VOILA, it offered me the opportunity in the iTunes window to "SYNC" my iPad, which I did and once I hit that button, BAM, the password screen showed up on my iPad, I entered it and VOILA again, It works!

I was right, iTunes 11.1.5 DOES allow you to sync and re-enable a disabled iPad.

So the issue is with iTunes 11.2.2 not allowing you to sync once your iPad goes into "disabled" mode.

I suggest, if this ever happens to you again, you download iTunes 11.1.5 and do the aforementioned

I didn't ever enter my password wrong and my iPad still says it's disabled. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.