Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple pro mouse on Windows

Hi,

I do hope that this is not off-topic, or at least, not too off-topic.

At home, I have two Mac Mini .. OK, one actual Mac and the other is on order. And here in the office, we were clearing out the store room, when I came across a gem of a find - a black, Apple Pro Mouse! It's the same one I have at home, excpt that one's white. I love it to bits, and have so far resisted all attempts by my wife, to get me to move to one of these new-fangled 'multibutton' efforts.

Here in the office, I have a Linux laptop, and work stuff is done on a Windows 7 virtual machine. The Pro Mouse works in both environments, but I can't get it to enable a CTRL-click (what young 'uns these days call 'right-click').

Does anyone know if there is any way of getting this to work ?

Thanks.

Mac mini, iOS 7.0.4, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB Fusion Drive

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 3:47 PM

Hello there D.C. !

I was able to use a scripting program called AutoHotKey to write a script that allows my left alt key to function as the control key did on the Mac.

The software is located here: http://www.autohotkey.com/

s

It's really easy to use and the tutorial can be found here: http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Tutorial.htm .

I borrowed a snippet of code and modified it to bind my left alt key and a left mouse click to activate a right click.

Script starts on next line: ============================================

SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.

SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

Lalt & LButton:: ;

SendEvent {Blind}{RButton down}

KeyWait RCtrl ; Prevents keyboard auto-repeat from repeating the mouse click.

SendEvent {Blind}{RButton up}

return

==============================================================

To use that script, first download and install the AutoHotKey tool. Then create a .txt file (notepad will suffice) and copy and paste the text between the ===== marks and save the file with a .ahk extension. Then double click the script you just created and it should run! The right clicks should happen when you press alt followed by a left mouse click.

Lalt means left alt; LButton means left mouse button click.

You can swap either for other keys such as Ralt, + for shift, ^ for control, etc.

Good Luck!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2014 3:47 PM in response to D.C.

Hello there D.C. !

I was able to use a scripting program called AutoHotKey to write a script that allows my left alt key to function as the control key did on the Mac.

The software is located here: http://www.autohotkey.com/

s

It's really easy to use and the tutorial can be found here: http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Tutorial.htm .

I borrowed a snippet of code and modified it to bind my left alt key and a left mouse click to activate a right click.

Script starts on next line: ============================================

SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.

SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

Lalt & LButton:: ;

SendEvent {Blind}{RButton down}

KeyWait RCtrl ; Prevents keyboard auto-repeat from repeating the mouse click.

SendEvent {Blind}{RButton up}

return

==============================================================

To use that script, first download and install the AutoHotKey tool. Then create a .txt file (notepad will suffice) and copy and paste the text between the ===== marks and save the file with a .ahk extension. Then double click the script you just created and it should run! The right clicks should happen when you press alt followed by a left mouse click.

Lalt means left alt; LButton means left mouse button click.

You can swap either for other keys such as Ralt, + for shift, ^ for control, etc.

Good Luck!

apple pro mouse on Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.