Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsual hidden "join network" feature

Today when I did a factory reset of time capsual instead of seeing either extend network or create new network I saw a new option "join network". Then I did another factory reset and it was not listed anymore. why is this option unlisted and how do you get it back?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 2.8GHZ i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 7:46 AM

5 replies

Feb 12, 2014 10:22 AM in response to PokemonFan1987

Apple may not let you connect the Time Capsule this way...since it is such a poor way to set up the Time Capsule.

It's called "double hop" wireless.

Say, you want to back up your Mac using wireless. The signal has to go from your Mac to the wireless router....hop one. Then, it has to go from the wireless router back out to the Time Capsule.....hop two.

Two hops equals twice the time and twice the chances of an error. This is a terrible way to configure the Time Capsule.....even if it might be possible.

If you check the Setup Guide of the Time Capsule, you will not see this type of setup.

Feb 12, 2014 10:47 AM in response to PokemonFan1987

A separate issue that would not be related to the Time Capsule.

All that I can suggest is that you power cycle the entire network. In general, Mavericks 10.9.x has really messed up and slowed down Time Machine, so you may need to post over in the Mavericks support area to see if there are any workarounds yet.

OS X Mavericks

Time Capsual hidden "join network" feature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.