Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule cannot find exisiting wifi.

My Time Capsule cannot find exisiting my exisiting wifi. I have rebooted everything (modem, router, TC, Macbook) several times. It works when its plugged directly into the wireless router via Ethernet, but this isnt how I want to use it. I type in the WiFi name and password and it says it cannot find the specific network.

Please help!

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 8:09 AM

2 replies

Feb 12, 2014 1:59 PM in response to n6berg

Apple does not want you to configure the Time Capsule this way, so they make it extremely difficult to impossible to set things up in this manner.

You did not provide any specific details about what make and model number your wireless router might be, or what device you were trying to use to set up the Time Capsule and which operating system it might be using, so we are basically stuck until we can get some additional information about your specific setup.

A much better choice in terms of performance is to connect the Time Capsule using an Ethernet cable connection to your wireless router, so you can avoid an undesireable and very slow "double hop" wireless situation.

To be honest, this is worst possible way that you can configure the Time Capsule....but we'll try to help if that is what your goal might be.

Feb 12, 2014 1:58 PM in response to n6berg

You are probably trying to do it using extend wireless network. That is only possible if your existing router is another apple.

You cannot extend wireless if the router is not apple.. you can join a wireless network. It is a really shockingly poor setup.. and I recommend against it.. ethernet to main router is the right way..

Still if you want to experience slowness in all its glory.. the instructions are here.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5719954?tstart=0

Tell me if you are not using v6 utility. It is much easier in v5.

Time Capsule cannot find exisiting wifi.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.