Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

graphic problems - flickering

Hello!

I have a macbook pro (late 2012) 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB memory.

Recently I updated from Mountain Lion to Mavericks. At first it was alright, but as soon I installed video editing software the screen was flickering all the time.

I read online that installing autoCad would fix and indeed it did. But apparently that was a rough solution as the flickering came back, although not as bad as before.

It is flickering now when I scroll down in safari, word or pdf documents, etc... the dock is also flickering and the graphic display is slower and sometimes it breaks.

This is really bad for someone who uses the computer everyday to work because it hurts the eyes. And I cannot have a computer that starts to fail everytime you install new software. Especially video and graphics software.

Does anyone knows whats going on and how to fix it?

Thank you

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 7

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 8:58 AM

5 replies

Feb 17, 2014 11:55 AM in response to braden85

No this didn't help and I'm kind of desperate.

That was one of the first thing that I did and completly useless.

I went to a genius bar in covent garden, even more useless. Maybe because I got someone who is not exactly a gen

ius or needs glasses.

Because Mavericks was working fine and smoothly I think it might be the logic board battery. Could somone tell me if the replacement is too expensive?

Mar 3, 2014 7:22 AM in response to carla sofia

Carla, I too have the flickering issue. Could not log into this forum because of it. So I called apple support. They had me clear the PRAM but before I did that I was instructed to un plug the computer from the power source for 15 seconds. Then reboot the computer clearing the PRAM. Today at this moment no more flickering. Hope that this helps.

Apr 6, 2014 12:02 AM in response to carla sofia

It seems that there is no immediate solution which Apple has at the momement. After going through couple of email threads on apple disucssion forum I observered that there are about 3 popular solution which can work for you.

1. Reset the system SMC and NVRAM. Please visit the below mentioned links for this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 & http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

2. Go to disk utilities and repair all your disk permission and reboot your system. Perform this task for atleast 2 times.

3. Switch off the 'Automatic Graphic Switching' option by going to: system preferences > power saver.

of all the options which I have tried, this one seems to work best in my system Macbook Retina 15" early 2014. Attaching a screenshot for your reference too.

User uploaded file

graphic problems - flickering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.