Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad Air drops wifi when streaming videos, browsing. iPhone 4S fine

I recently bought an ipad air.

I have been experiencing numerous problems regarding the wifi connection and I have contacted apple support twice about it but I thought I'd ask here before returning my device for a refund.

Basically, ipad air is behaving inferior to all my other apple devices.

Problems:

Wifi drops randomly and sometimes it comes back by relaunching the application (e.g. Safari) or sometimes I have to turn of wifi off and on again to restore connection. This especially happens when I watch streaming videos either on YouTube app or safari.

At the same time when I perform speedtests ipad air gives always mixed results most of the time being slower than my other devices (iPhone 4S , iPhone 3GS, MacBook Pro 2011).

What I have tried Already:

Resetting the network settings

Restarting the ipad and the router (bt hub5)

Switching between 2.4 and 5 ghz networks

The most important thing is that all my other devices , my iPhone 4S , my iPhone 3GS and my MacBook Pro work great in every network where the ipad air seems to either give poor performance or drop the connection randomly.

I would be happy to know if there is an issue with ipad airs that is going to be resolved with an upcoming OS update, I am patient. It would save me the hassle of returning the ipad for a refund.

Thank you so much in advance for any help.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 10:40 AM

3 replies

Feb 14, 2014 8:05 AM in response to Finalizer

Hi Finalizer,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

If you have not yet done so, I recommend backing up your iPad Air and restoring the device as new:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

After the device is restored and updated to the latest version of iOS 7, test the Wi-Fi connection with Safari or another app before restoring a backup of your data.

All the best,

Jeremy

Apr 26, 2014 9:14 AM in response to jeremy_v

I am having exactly the same problem (except it's a BT hub 3). I have done all the above, I used the help at the Apple Genius Bar to restore the software via iTunes. The iPad Air works fine in the Apple store, but refuses to stream from BBC I player etc at home. A laptop, android phone and my iPod all work perfectly well on the home connection. I have had BT check the internet, and there is no problem with it.

I am now completely at a loss. Streaming catch up TV is one of the main things I had the ipad for - and it just will not do it. It's only just over 4 months old, and I am now really disappointed

Apr 27, 2014 2:36 AM in response to Finalizer

my new ipad air also drops out of wifi every 3-4 minutes, i to have tried all the rests mentioned more than once but the problem still happens, My network is BT infinity and i have tried hub3 and hub 5 this still did not help.

i am now covinced that it's a fault within Apple systems as imac, phones, e readers and smart tv's all work fine.

Nice device but this lets it down big time, will have to return it before 30 days are up.

ipad Air drops wifi when streaming videos, browsing. iPhone 4S fine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.