Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FV2 - CoreStorage LV status FAILED. How to unlock LV / bypass UUID ?

Hi.

INTRO: (You may skip it)

I made myself a mess, I won't waste your time describing how stupid thing I've done, just say that ended up with lots of sensitive data (almost) gone. So here's how it goes. I was playing with my System Folder (10.7.?) let's say half a year ago, then obviously OS died because I made one small but very stupid thing... So I switched the MB off, few days later I attempted to turn it back on and I just realized that it's not gonna happen - FileVault2.

I knew that I messed a lot, so cowardly put the MB back up on a shelf between books.. Last week I decided to be a hero again, and decided to get it back to life. I did manage to get the battery back to life, I fixed the MagSafe plug accidentaly broken in the meantime, but the system does not start. I mean it boots, the EFI partition goes good, I enter the passphrase to decrypt FV2, OS then is beginning to launch but it gets stuck on "Still waiting for the root device"... After such trolling, basically the partition gets a slap in a face and goes byebye, but in this case it is MEDIUM-important data storage... Thing that I would rather not erase...

TECHNO:

MacBook 4,1 - 320GB HDD - (first time in my life) I let the OS do the HDD, and 10.7 partitioned it for me:

/dev/disk0s1 = 200MB-EFI

/dev/disk0s2 = 319GB-OSX-Lion = status FAILED = Encrypted with FV2 (got pass)

/dev/disk0s3 = 600MB-Recovery

SYMPTOMS:

MacBook starts up, Chimes, EFI gets the pass to encrypted volume, System is launching, and then: [STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE]....

Just like I would be trying to boot up some sort of Hackintosh on a crappy PC...

OS is NOT the newest Lion I suppose, I simply can't remember, it doesn't matter. What is important in this case, is namely the fact, that I searched the Internet all the way through, looking for a clue on HOW TO UNLOCK the LV while in Recovery mode, so I can then scan the disk surface, fix partition table and posibly roll the encryption back. Tried all Diskutil commands in Terminal, and then with the GUI. Searched VerboseMode screen looking for UUID, NOPE. Tried installing fresh OS on a removable HDD and after update to 10.7.5 expecting to get the "Unlock Volume" in the drop-down File menu, NOPE. Checked all my backups for any sign of LV UUID, which would allow me to unlock it in Terminal, NOPE. Decoded and spelled (Notepad.exe) all PSDs and PDFs created on that faulty OSX, looking for any clue on this damned UUID, NOPE. Tried to install a rescue (borrowed) copy of 10.8 but then surprise - my MacBook is too crappy for this OS...

I really have no other idea on how to bite this thing... The HDD belongs to me, MacBook also, data too, got them passwords and all...

What to do else?

How can I revert my disk to its native form?

How to get all my data back?

Or maybe how to bypass the UUID?

HELP? PLS...

Thank you for ANY help...

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5), MB4,1

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 11:33 AM

There are no replies.

FV2 - CoreStorage LV status FAILED. How to unlock LV / bypass UUID ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.