Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime disappeared when I changed the Carrier SIM card

Hi I bought an iphone 5s from Qatar in ME on Jan 20th 2014. This phone is unlocked and I paid a big price for this, around 800 USD for 16 GB. At that time I used the iphone on Qatar Vodafone network and all the iPhone services were working fine in particular Facetime. Now I am trying to use the same iPhone in Canada but Facetime application disappeared when I remove the Vodaphone Qata sim card and entred Rogers Sim Card. I reported the issue to Apple support and they told me because my iPhone was activated by Vodafone Qatar then this carrier does not allow me to use Facetime with another carrier and Apple can do nothing about it. With all the respect I find this a redicilouis answer simply because a carrier such as Vodafone Qatar can lock a feature in an unlocked iPhone, and make my iPhone partially disfunctional and Apple has no fix and now its my problem. Why did I pay the money for the unlocked phone !!!

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 3:57 PM

I also have the same problem. Currently in Kuwait. Bought an iPhone 5C, unlocked. I put my kuwait sim and FT is there. When i change the sim card to a Philippine (Globe) sim card, FT disappears. Globe allows FT calls and I don't understand why it disappears like that.

I have an iPhone 5S, bought it unlocked from the US. I activated it using my PH sim. FT is available. When i traveled to the UAE, FT option is still available, though not working because of the UAE restriction. Now in Kuwait using a local sim, FT works perfectly.

I don't get this iPhone 5C. FT just disappears when you change the sim. Does this mean this specific phone model is only tied to countries in the middle east that supports FT? And if you use it outside the middle east, you can't use it? WTH? Doesn't make sense. If FT is on the phone (even if works or not, depending on the country), it shouldn't disappear like that, should it? something is blocking my PH sim card. Can someone shed some light into this matter? It's frustrating.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2014 3:57 PM in response to adudin

I also have the same problem. Currently in Kuwait. Bought an iPhone 5C, unlocked. I put my kuwait sim and FT is there. When i change the sim card to a Philippine (Globe) sim card, FT disappears. Globe allows FT calls and I don't understand why it disappears like that.

I have an iPhone 5S, bought it unlocked from the US. I activated it using my PH sim. FT is available. When i traveled to the UAE, FT option is still available, though not working because of the UAE restriction. Now in Kuwait using a local sim, FT works perfectly.

I don't get this iPhone 5C. FT just disappears when you change the sim. Does this mean this specific phone model is only tied to countries in the middle east that supports FT? And if you use it outside the middle east, you can't use it? WTH? Doesn't make sense. If FT is on the phone (even if works or not, depending on the country), it shouldn't disappear like that, should it? something is blocking my PH sim card. Can someone shed some light into this matter? It's frustrating.

Mar 2, 2015 2:32 PM in response to adudin

hi dear..

i have iphone 4 16gb and iphone 4 32gb and iphone 6 16gb ... i try in kuwait with wataniya sim facetime have no problem....then i take to pakistan and try with Jazz sim facetime disapeare in only with iphone 16 gb not on 32 gb.... Why its happen I dont know...... because on same sim facetime work with 32 gb but why disapeare on 16 gb.... I have to ask with APPLE

Jun 19, 2015 3:16 AM in response to adudin

I also bought an Iphone 6 from Qatar Vodafone. I have the same problem. When I change sim cards FaceTime disappears.

I went into an Apple Shop in London and explained my situation to the Genius Bar but unfortunately they said that its the Policies that Qatar has given Apple to comply with and that happens to be one of them.

Essentially Qatar have basically said "If you buy from us. you have to use the phone in Qatar or with a Qatari sim card if you want basic FaceTime privileges."

Apparently Apple have to comply with weird policies that governments give them another example of this would be in Japan where Apple have to comply with a policy that makes the IPhone always play a sound when a picture is taken EVEN if the phone is set on silent.

After this bad experience I think I will always buy my Iphone from the UK ---- I didnt really want to JB my Iphone to fix this but it looks like I have no choice now.

Jun 17, 2016 6:18 AM in response to fawzan_212

What is the model number of your iPhone? Settings>General>About>Model.

You may have to scroll to see the entry for Model.

If the model # has AE or AB in front of the slash, FaceTime will not be available in KSA, UAE, or

countries outside of the Middle East. SIM cards from certain (not all) Middle Eastern wireless

providers will enable FaceTime, but only for those cellular carriers and in the appropriate

countries. FaceTime cannot be added if iPhone is no longer in the restricted area.

If this is not what you are asking, you need to provide more information before someone may

offer a solution.

Jul 5, 2016 5:17 AM in response to imobl

Hi

I have bought iphone 6S from Kuwait and face time was working. when i
travelled to Palestine, i inserted my sim card and face time disappeared. i
restored my device to factory and restored then the back up as a proposed
solution but it did not work.

I bought previously iphone 5S and did not face this issue.

The model type includes the AE.

Similar question, I bought one as a present for my sister and she lives in
Portugal. Does this mean that facetime will not work in Portugal?

Jul 5, 2016 5:55 AM in response to RAM2016

FaceTime in your iPhone will work only with certain wireless providers

in Kuwait and will not work in Palestine. There is no workaround. Use

Skype or similar app or purchase an iPhone from a non-restricted area (if

FaceTime is prohibited in Palestine, such non-restricted iPhones will

not provide it).

FaceTime disappeared when I changed the Carrier SIM card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.