Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery effects of 5400 vs. 7200 speed HDs?

My wife and I are thinking it's time to get a second laptop Mac, and we've been eyeing the 17" MacBook Pro. If one orders online, I see one can choose between a 100G 7200rpm drive or a 120G 5400rpm drive.

For us, 20G more of HD space doesn't sound as appealing as a faster drive, so we were thinking about going for the faster 100G HD. However, I was talking to one of the folks at the local Apple Store today (one of the 'geniuses' actually), who told me that the 7200 rpm drive uses more power and won't hold it's charge as long. I asked him what sort of difference one could expect, and he told me that he wasn't really sure. He suggested that asking here might actually be the best way to find out.

So.... anyone out there have any experience with this? Other things equal, how much longer (%-wise) should I expect the battery to last on a 17" Mac Book Pro with a 5400 speed drive vs. a 7200 speed drive?

Posted on Aug 6, 2006 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2006 6:01 PM

Don't really notice a difference..maybe 20minutes or so.
5 replies

Aug 15, 2006 8:41 PM in response to Jim Chokey

The one thing to think about with the faster drive is taht it will make the computer run hotter (I was also choosing between the two speeds and one of the 'geniuses' at the store told me that. Personally I stayed at the slower one b/c after reading all the stories abotu overheating and hotness and all i thought the last thing i'd need is one more reason to screw it up. I went for the 5400 100GB 2.16 GHZ and seems to be fine with all my programs (Photoshop included).

15" macbook pro 2.16 GHZ Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Battery effects of 5400 vs. 7200 speed HDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.