Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why my iPad is not in full screen view on TV :

I have iPad mini retina .

When I connected my Apple TV ( 3 rd version) to my tv:

My iPad display by air play- on the tv does not cover the full screen of the tv. ( 40 inch screen)

I am looking if there is any setting that I missed.

Whereas if I mirror my iPhone 5 s , the display on my tv is full screen.

Can someone suggest a solution

iPad 3G, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 12:54 PM

Mirroring won't fill the TV screen. The iPad has an aspect ratio of 4:3 and the iPhone 4S or prior an aspect ratio of 3:2, neither of these will fit exactly into a TV screen which as an aspect ratio of 16:9. The Apple TV will not zoom the mirrored image, because it may well cut off information which is situated at the top or bottom of the screen.

You may wish to try each of the settings in ‘Settings > Audio & Video > Adjust for AirPlay overscan’ for the best setting that suits you.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2014 12:54 PM in response to prakashlikesapple

Mirroring won't fill the TV screen. The iPad has an aspect ratio of 4:3 and the iPhone 4S or prior an aspect ratio of 3:2, neither of these will fit exactly into a TV screen which as an aspect ratio of 16:9. The Apple TV will not zoom the mirrored image, because it may well cut off information which is situated at the top or bottom of the screen.

You may wish to try each of the settings in ‘Settings > Audio & Video > Adjust for AirPlay overscan’ for the best setting that suits you.

Feb 12, 2014 1:21 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Mr. W Churchill,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes I checked the aspect ratio of my tv is 16:9 which is the same as my iPhone 5s , therefore my iPhone 5s mirrors on my tv screen in full display mode.

Where as my iPad mini retina has aspect ratio of 4:3. Therefore it cannot fill up the tv screen.

But I found that if I go to the setting of tv display itself and change the modes to full zoom or zoom. It fills the screen ,

The settings on the Apple TV for airplay overscan could not help much, though!

Thanks a lot

Regards,

Feb 12, 2014 1:56 PM in response to prakashlikesapple

prakashlikesapple wrote:

But I found that if I go to the setting of tv display itself and change the modes to full zoom or zoom. It fills the screen ,

That's fine if you don't mind zooming and cropping the image or distorting it horizontally...

Each to their own, but I prefer to see things in their original state - TV and movies anyway, perhaps less important for a mirrored display.

AC

May 23, 2014 8:18 PM in response to prakashlikesapple

Ok but if the iPhone 5s and 5 can go full screen the why can't the iPad Air as it too is new the problem shouldn't be hard to solve as I have looked the apple site and it show it just fine in full screen so I'm sure you understand when I say there is most definitely away of doing it so can Apple just sort it out I'm always telling my m8s how good Apple devices are and I've been let down on this so come on fix it PLEASE

May 23, 2014 8:28 PM in response to Alley_Cat

It simply should be automatic when connecting to the TV and fit it self to the screen size I'm sure that's within there ability to do the iPhone 5s works so why not this it's only software the hardware has the ability to do it so just tell it what to do and give use more options in setting to change TV output size and while there at it put some Audio options in there.

Why my iPad is not in full screen view on TV :

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.