Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First time capsule back-up isn't working

I connected by MacBook via ethernet to my Time Capsule for the first back-up so it would go faster. After that completed, I reconnected the Time Capsule to the wireless network and attempted to connect to the Time Capsule wirelessly. It is able to connect, but says "Oldest Backup: None." It looks like it'll just start over. Any tips?

Keith

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 1:26 PM

5 replies

Feb 12, 2014 1:42 PM in response to keith murphy

That is weird.. but then you are using Mavericks..

When you say you are connected to the TC by wireless.. and the TC is connected to the wireless network, can you spell out the second bit.

Is the TC working in "join a wireless network" mode, because it has no cables and there is no other apple router to extend wireless with??

That is a seriously bad setup.. and there is a good chance the issue is caused by that.

Have another try with setting up Time Machine.

I would follow this.. A4 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

See if you are then able to find your old backup.

If not you can also try B6 in the same reference.

No luck.. I would try the setup of the TC differently.. stand alone as you must have done it by ethernet but this time do it by wireless. (So you setup the TC in router mode and connect to its wireless.. not your main wireless network).. See if it can then find the backup.

Feb 12, 2014 2:32 PM in response to keith murphy

Gotcha.. Thanks for reminding me.

I think the issue has to do with the poor networking in Mavericks.

Your TC is now on the end of a long chain. It is actually invisible to the computer.. at least the hard disk is to Time Machine.

I have yet to explore the eccentricities of Mavericks.. in fact I have only just loaded it onto a poor laptop and ever since I rarely turn it on. But something is happening that is causing Mavericks to have multiple issues with network disks and especially Time Machine.

Let me suggest a work around.

I just turned the Wireless Network mode to off for the Time Capsule.

Turn the TC wireless back on. Set it up using all short names.. TC station name, as well as wireless.. no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

I recommend something like.. TCgen5 (or 4 or 3 whatever gen your TC is).

Wireless names.. yes use two.. one for each band. TC24ghz and TC5ghz.

Now instead of using the main wireless from your Unite.. use the TC wireless.. and if possible use the 5ghz.. it is much faster if you are within range.. otherwise use the TC 2.4ghz.

You will still get internet just fine. And although it is double hop wireless I doubt the speed is that fantastic to begin with.

You will then be directly connected to the TC.. and Mavericks will work much better.

Try it and yell if you find it is my hopeful imagination.. and a harsher reality.. because there is some more we can do.

Mar 2, 2014 3:53 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks so much again for your ongoing help.

Either way (the configuration I described above, and with trying your second network) I am able to see the TC Data in the Time Machine preference area. The trouble is that it doesn't seem to be able to use the existing save file I started when I was connected via an ethernet cable. If there's no way to force my computer to use that file, I'll just delete it and start over from wireless.

Thanks,

Keith

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

First time capsule back-up isn't working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.