Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Server Monitor

I just logged onto my intel Xserve and brought up the Server Monitor application to find that many of the items that are supposed to be monitored are not. There are four green disks in the Status Summary where normally there are 8. Below it is indicating that there is no power supply installed, there are no temperatures listed under the Temperature tab, and no blowers listed under the Blowers tab.The section for Memory and Drives seems to be working normally.

What might cause this? It happened once before and a reboot brought things back but I would like to find a way to fix this without needing to reboot the server. Is there a service or something that I can restart that might fix the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 2:45 PM

4 replies

Feb 12, 2014 5:34 PM in response to roarkh

I've seen that happen once or twice, when the Xserve LOM got confused and/or the daemon became confused.

In the immortal words of the IT Crowd — "Have You Tried Turning It Off And On Again?" I've cleared that by shutting down Xserve entirely, removing grid power for 30+ seconds — it's that power removal which triggers the complete LOM reset, the physical disconnection of Xserve from the grid power — and then re-connecting and re-powering and rebooting the Xserve. If Xserve isn't physically disconnected from grid power, the LOM retains power.

Here are the LOM setup details. There are a couple of related threads around, as well; here's one.

You may alread be aware of this, but if you're using Server Monitor directly from the local Xserve system, you must use the local connection path and not the network path, too.

Feb 12, 2014 6:44 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for your help. So I should power it off, unplug the power cords for a minute or so then boot it back up to get the server monitor working again. Since drive monitoring is working and I can use the hardware monitor to watch temperatures I guess it should be ok to leave it running like this for a few days. If for some reason you think that is a bad idea, please let me know.

Thanks!

Problems with Server Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.