Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fixing a second hand iMac

I bought a iMac from a friend who bought it from a friend over the years. I want to clear the mac but i dont have a disk, i also need new programmes and such but i do not know who the mac was to change ownership. Will i be able to take it to a genuis bar?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 2:55 PM

3 replies

Feb 12, 2014 3:02 PM in response to elliejordan

Yes, you can take it to an Apple Store. You are going to need a bootable installer disc for it. If this is an old PPC version running 10.5.8, then you can look for a Leopard retail installer disc set on Amazon or eBay. You could possible purchase replacement discs from Apple Support: Contacting Apple for support and service. Use the number for your Country.

Feb 13, 2014 7:23 AM in response to elliejordan

Apple will no longer work on the pre-2006 iMacs this forum covers in an Apple Sotre or at a central facility. See:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752

If yours is a PowerPC iMac you will need to find an third-party Apple repair shop that still works on older computers.

So it comes to knowing your iMac family. For a start, what does "About this Mac" say about your processor type?

fixing a second hand iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.