Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error messages

My iTunes stopped working all of a sudden. I get an error message that MSVCR80.dll is missing and also an Error 7 (Windows err 126) It states that iTunes was not installed correctly but I've been using it for years.

Windows Vista

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 6:24 PM

Uninstall your existing copy of iTunes. Delete any copies of the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64Setup.exe) installer files from your downloads areas for your web browsers and download a fresh copy of the iTunes installer from the Apple website:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

(The current build of the 11.1.4.62 installer was changed a few days ago, which fixed the bulk of the reports of MSVCR80.dll/R6034/APSDaemon.exe/Error-7/AMDS-could-not-start trouble ... but the build number on the installer was not changed. So we're trying to make sure you do the reinstall using a "new good" 11.1.4.62 installer instead of an "old bad".)

Does the install with the new copy of the installer go through properly? If so, does that clear up the error message?

If you still have the same error messages cropping up, then try the procedures from the following user tip:

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2014 6:24 PM in response to renitafromoh

Uninstall your existing copy of iTunes. Delete any copies of the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64Setup.exe) installer files from your downloads areas for your web browsers and download a fresh copy of the iTunes installer from the Apple website:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

(The current build of the 11.1.4.62 installer was changed a few days ago, which fixed the bulk of the reports of MSVCR80.dll/R6034/APSDaemon.exe/Error-7/AMDS-could-not-start trouble ... but the build number on the installer was not changed. So we're trying to make sure you do the reinstall using a "new good" 11.1.4.62 installer instead of an "old bad".)

Does the install with the new copy of the installer go through properly? If so, does that clear up the error message?

If you still have the same error messages cropping up, then try the procedures from the following user tip:

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

Feb 12, 2014 7:25 PM in response to b noir

I have a question related to this issue. I got the message I was trying to open iTunes "The program can't start because MSVCR80.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem." I clicked OKAY and this message came up: "Please reinstall iTunes. Error 7 (Windows error 126).

I had issues occur when I tried to download the update. I thus abandoned the process.

Now, my question has to do with my existing library that will, I assume, no longer exist. Is it possible that when I reinstall iTunes I can plug in my gen 1 touch and repopulate my library or is this not possible?

I do have the music backed up in a folder but I may have missed backing up one here and there. I don't use the cloud because of my trust issues of having my stuff out there in cyberspace without any true protection. I don't even update it on my iTunes when I download updates.

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2014 7:33 PM in response to socrmom

Now, my question has to do with my existing library that will, I assume, no longer exist.

Your assumption is most likely to be incorrect. Under normal circumstances, an uninstall/reinstall doesn't touch your content. (That being said, it's still always a good idea to maintain a current backup at all times in case of disasters of any sort. It was nicely done of you to have a back-up prepared, just in case.)

Feb 13, 2014 2:44 PM in response to b noir

Ok, I am in the process of uninstalling iTunes, Apple Software Update, Apple Mobile Device Support, Bonjour and Apple Application Support as directed on the Apple Support page.

No problems uninstalling iTunes or Apple Software update but when I go to the Apple Mobile Device Support I can't uninstall it. It starts the process but as it gets close to finishing the green bar begins to go from right to left instead of left to right. I attempted to uninstall twice. My hubby suggested I reboot so I did. I have attempted 3 more times with the same result.

The directions from support instruct you to uninstall in this order and this order only as it may have unintended affects so I don't want to continue and cause an issue. The directions also state that if you encounter an error while uninstalling try repairing the affected component. I did this twice with the same results. Suggestions?

Feb 13, 2014 2:53 PM in response to socrmom

The directions from support instruct you to uninstall in this order and this order only as it may have unintended affects so I don't want to continue and cause an issue. The directions also state that if you encounter an error while uninstalling try repairing the affected component. I did this twice with the same results. Suggestions?

Try using the fixit from the following Microsoft document to remove Apple Mobile Device Support:

Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled

Feb 13, 2014 4:34 PM in response to b noir

B Noir,

I want to give you a huge thank you! I cancelled the fixer program since it didn't seem to be doing anything and continued on with the uninstall of Bonjour and Apple Applications Support. When uninstalling the last program I got a message that Apple Mobile Device Support (the program with an issue) was running and had to be closed before the install could finish (didn't understand that since I was UNinstalling) so I went with it and told it to close the program and the uninstall continued and that did the trick. I have reinstalled iTunes and all my music, apps, playlsits and videos were intact! I am definitely a Happy Camper.

I was so concerned about losing my stuff because in the old days of iTunes if there wasn't anyting in the iTunes and you plugged in your iPod that had stuff on it it would be wiped clean. Tells you how long I've had iPods. My son's had them since the very first one with the click wheel that cost him $500!!!

I just wish Apple would allow you to use the device like an external drive so that you don't have to rely on iTunes.

Lastly, I appreciate your patience with a less than saavy Apple user. It makes all the difference. I've gotten "help" from people in the past who are arrogant and make you feel 2" tall if you don't know or understand all the lingo and the Apple roadmap. Thank you again for all your help.

Kathy from Austin, Texas

error messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.