Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My one computer's gone for repairs, all my iTunes info is on an external drive. I just bought a new machine, I want to use iTunes on it with my original external drive. How can I do this?

Hi, I have an important question which I need to ask you folks.

For the past four years, I have been using iTunes on my laptop, the only computer I have had to use iTunes. All of my movies, songs, etc are saved to an external hard drive which connects through its USB port.

That laptop is not currently working, and for the past couple of months has been upstate at a friend's house, as he is attempting to fix it.

I just got a new portable tablet capable of running iTunes today. I have not set it up yet has I have been busy at work; but I want to have the tablet have iTunes on it as well under my existing iTunes account, but I am not sure exactly how to go about it. This will be my second computer machine that iTunes will be installed under, and I want to be able to plug into it the external hard drive, The exact same hard drive I have been using on my old computer with all my iTunes information on it.

How do I do it?

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 6:49 PM

1 reply

Feb 12, 2014 6:52 PM in response to Indiana Goof

If the iTunes database files are on that drive, launch iTunes with the Shift key(Windows) or Option key(Mac OS X) held down, select Choose Library, and navigate to it. The computer may need to be authorized to play protected content, and if the library contains rented movies, those won't play.

If not, import the content to an iTunes library.

(100371)

My one computer's gone for repairs, all my iTunes info is on an external drive. I just bought a new machine, I want to use iTunes on it with my original external drive. How can I do this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.