Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Tilting Causes Loss of Airport

Hi everyone,

I've searched through the forums, but I can't find anyone who seems to have this problem:

I have a 15'' Macbook (mid 2010).

Skip to the end if you just want to see the immediate problem.

Last night, my wifi suddenly dropped. I thought it was a problem with my apartment's Wifi, but I quickly noticed that wasn't the case. In System Preferences, The Network had "Turn Airport On" as an option...but the airport was already on. On the top bar, the Wifi symbol still showed. I clicked the button, but I couldn't turn the Airport back on--as in, it could not even try to connect.

So I tried a few things:

1) I deleted the Wifi option, then remade it, but I still couldn't turn Airport back on.

2) Then, I tried to restart the machine in Safe Mode, and that seemed to fix the Wifi issue, but once my Macbook was back on, I couldn't use the keyboard backlight or the volume (which did not show up in Sound Output in System Preferences).

3) I restarted it with a PRAM reboot. That fixed the issue for a while, but it still kept cutting out all night, and I have to restart twice every time to get everything working again (thougth soft restarts seem to fix it).

Also, it's a later Macbook, so I can't take out the battery and try that fix and users have suggested in older threads.

All day it's been working fine, but then I got home and laid down on the couch with it, and the Airport cut out again.

*I realized that tilting the computer back (not the screen but the keyboard if that makes sense) is what causes the loss of Airport. Somehow, tilting the machine back as little as 15-20 degrees will completely ruin the Airport. It doesn't give me the "Airport Card Not Found" like some other users have had.

Is this a software or hardware problem? Does anyone have a possible fix? Will I pretty much have to take it to a Genius Bar (which I would rather not do, since the nearest one is a couple hours of driving to reach)?

Thanks for any help you have.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 2:49 AM

I had a very similar problem, also with a mid-2010. What makes what you're (and what I was) experiencing different than most wifi problems is the way the wifi icon behaves. It still shows connected, and when you turn it off there's no way to turn it back on without a reboot. I struggled with this for weeks until another user here pointed out the fix that worked for him and I tried it. There's an internal cable that connects the Airport card to the motherboard. That's what went bad. It seems very odd that it would fail, but he'd done some testing and found that it could rub the bottom of the case and eventually fail. I was doubtful, but I ordered the cable and that did it.

What I did was to take the part number off the ifixit.com website and search ebay. I found it out there for $13. It's a very easy replacement, needing only a Phillips #00 screwdriver to get the bottom case off and a thumbnail to lift up the two ends of the cable.

Here's the part number:

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2010-Airport -Bluetooth-Cable/IF161-064

And here's the procedure:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+AirPort-Bluetoo th+Cable+Replacement/3036

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2014 2:49 AM in response to G Adam

I had a very similar problem, also with a mid-2010. What makes what you're (and what I was) experiencing different than most wifi problems is the way the wifi icon behaves. It still shows connected, and when you turn it off there's no way to turn it back on without a reboot. I struggled with this for weeks until another user here pointed out the fix that worked for him and I tried it. There's an internal cable that connects the Airport card to the motherboard. That's what went bad. It seems very odd that it would fail, but he'd done some testing and found that it could rub the bottom of the case and eventually fail. I was doubtful, but I ordered the cable and that did it.

What I did was to take the part number off the ifixit.com website and search ebay. I found it out there for $13. It's a very easy replacement, needing only a Phillips #00 screwdriver to get the bottom case off and a thumbnail to lift up the two ends of the cable.

Here's the part number:

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2010-Airport -Bluetooth-Cable/IF161-064

And here's the procedure:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+AirPort-Bluetoo th+Cable+Replacement/3036

Macbook Pro Tilting Causes Loss of Airport

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.