Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade iMac mid-2011 graphics card

Hello.

Is it possible to upgrade the mid-2011 iMac's graphics card? What i mean by this and wht i intend to do with it.

I mean that 256mb of Vram is absolutley ridiculous, barely any game is satified with that vram this days, i only can play battlefield 3 at 1080p in low settings at 25 fps, and at 720p at 50, in god **** low settings, so, it is pretty ****** up, now, i can't play BF4, shure, i can play and plays well, except for sudden lag, or freezing, the FPS drop down to 0 and stays there for half a seccond to 3 secconds, then i can keep playing (barely)
I want to upgrade to an iMac's graphics card, not any card like a GTX 780, but just a better version of this mobile card with at least 512mb on Vram..

I intend to use it on bootcamp, if this is doable, would bootcamo have problem recognizing it?

Question. Does the iMac has a PCI or PCIe where the graphics card goes or it is a custom mother board with the graphics soldered to it?

If this is not doable, would someone like to buy a mid-2011 iMac? xD

An other question, does having windows 32bit can affect the gaming performance? Specialy in BF4? I have 4 gigs of ram, i know 32bit can only access 3.2 or so.. i have a "hack" tho that makes it able to use the rest of the ram (it does work) but my CD reader is being sissy and it wont accept me any disk other than movies or music CD's, it used to read everything, but i don't know if damage or software updates made it puke the disk every god **** time and that is why i cant go up to 64 bit.

Question again. does being 32 bit affects gaming performance and rendering performance (in sony vegas) and if so, how grat would be the performance from 32 to 64? to see if it is worth it to pay the 300$ apple charges me to replace the SuperDrive... if not, thanks.

<Edited by Host>

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 8:48 PM

10 replies

Feb 12, 2014 9:02 PM in response to reno911unlocred

If you could upgrade an iMac's graphics card, it would cost you a lot to do so. Accessing the innards of an iMac is, unfortunately, a tedious and time consuming process. If you could get a new card, it would cost you a lot to install it. I'd guess there are tutorials out there on taking your iMac apart, but it's not so easy to put them back together without some experience.

Not trying to be a wise guy, but an iMac with 256 MB of VRAM is not a gaming machine, and a quick Google search shows that 2011 iMacs came with 512 MB of VRAM...any chance you have an older model? If you're looking for a gaming machine, you'll either need to get a PC or one of the pricier iMacs.

As to 32 vs. 64 bit Windows, you can try the bootcamp forum, or a Windows forum, but my initial though would be that 64 bit Windows is still gaining acceptance and support form some software vendors, so 64 bit may be better in some ways, and not so much in other ways.

Feb 13, 2014 12:00 AM in response to reno911unlocred

The 21 inch screen iMac models always had their GPUs soldered to the logic board.

So, no way to swap out a GPU in these models.

The 2009-2011, 27 inch screen models have a socketed GPU Chip ( similar idea of the old ZIF socketed CPUs of older, more upgradeable Macs of the past). While the doing is difficult, you can only install a upgrade GPU that was one of the other GPU options offered for that iMac model year, only.

Finding these optional, higher VRAM GPUs will be very expensive to obtain and very difficult to install.

It will be very difficult replacement/upgrade if you are a complete newbie to doing computer system hardware upgrades and newbie to Macs.

For late 2009, 27 inch screen iMacs, the only other installable GPU options was a 512 MB VRAM GPU chip.

For 2010, 27 inch models, the base models had 512 MB VRAM GPUs with the only other GPU option of a 1 GB VRAM GPU.

For 2011, 27 inch screen iMac models, these came, also, with a base 512 MB VRAM GPU chip.

The options for these model iMacs were 1 GB or 2 GB VRAM GPUs.

All the various GPUs I mentioned are NOT interchangeable between othe iMac model years. Only within their respective model years.

AND you cannot install any old Sockted GPU chip that is currently available in the market place for Windows PCs, either.

The GPUs need to be specifically for an Apple iMac.

So, the iMac you have is never going to be a high powered gaming computer.

Sorry.

Feb 13, 2014 8:59 AM in response to reno911unlocred

Yes, the graphics circuitry is soldered to the main logic board (motherboard in PC speak) - your iMac is the same model as mine.

Although changing the GPU is theoretically possible, it would be very costly (several hundred dollars or equivalent in your local currency, even if you can find somewhere that can/will do it).

At the end of the day, previous posters on this thread are quite correct - most Macs (yours included) are not really built for gaming. Yes, you can play a bit of WoW or App based games without problems and some big-name games have been converted for Macs with others available on Steam, but if you are looking to run high powered, graphic intensive games (you mention BF4, which is a good example) at reasonable framerates, here is my advice:

Keep your iMac for other tasks and buy a secondhand XBox360 or PS3 to play games on. I'm not big on gaming, but I do like to play occasionally. Now the PS4 and XBox One are here, you can buy previous models for a very competitive price. Almost 2 years ago, I picked up an XBox360 120gb for the UK equivalent of about $130. It would probably be even less now. An awful lot less than your GPU upgrade and it's a dedicated gaming machine.

Feb 13, 2014 10:13 AM in response to Strawb268

Oh no no, i KNOW iMacs are not made for gaming, even less a mid-2011 iMac, in that moment it was pretty darn good for me coming from crappy notebooks, but it's 2014 and it is obsolete, the base clock speeds on the processor these days seems to be at least 3GHz and with turbo boost a good amount more. Mine is 2.5GHz max, and in those days 512mb on Vram used to be not perfect, but usable for anything, not it is good for nothing, trust me, i KNOW it is not for gaming, but i just wanted to know if it was worh it to upgrade graphics. If it is not, then my long term plan goes on, i am going to build a PC which i already know what pieces i need, i just need money, it will cost me 650 bucks total, and it will run BF4 at medium/high at 1080p on 60+ fps, so yeah, all i need is the money, and the iMac will be for my GF (that uses a lenovo all-in-one piece pf ****... Thank you very much, then i will get out of my head the weird ideas and wild ways to upgrade an iMac.

Sep 18, 2016 5:19 AM in response to reno911unlocred

Hello!

The gpu on the 2011 iMac is indeed replaceable. It is not for the faint hearted to do so. It is not a user serviceable part. It is not soldered. My experience is that some iMacs from this generation underperforms to the extreme when it comes to real time rendering with lots of lighting. Compare the result with an older core2duo iMac before you buy into the: it´s not a gaming machine, OS X is not for gaming etc. For what you want to do it should word OK. See if you can compare on an older machine in the hood.

To spot the error I use an old-time game i play to check. any Mac with core2duo and on handles it fine. Imacs with bad behavior starts to get jerky action as soon as there is lighting to calculate. The behavior seems to remain in bootcamp so it is something that is not right with the way hardware is assembled. Faulty jumper position if there even

are such have been blamed. Exact same gen iMac may behave fine so... My machine is old enough now for me to dare a gpu replacement. But as it is the family computer I need to own a replacement before wrecking it. 🙂

There are many posts on the web about replacing gpu on 2011 iMacs if you dare chance wrecking it.

Upgrade iMac mid-2011 graphics card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.