Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change smb volume icon

I've got a peculiar issue on my Mac. I connect to several SMB shares from a Linux box and a Windows box. I have set custom icons for each of the shares so that I can tell at a glance which machine the volumes are. Everything is fine with the exception of one of the volumes. I can't change the icon for that volume to save my life. An ls -leO@ shows that all of the volumes have the attributes

drwx------@

com.apple.FinderInfo

with the exception of the one volume I can't change the icon for, which doesn't have the "@" at the end or the com.apple.FinderInfo listed. After poking around the 'Net, I've come to understand that the "@" indicates that a file contains "extended attributes." I'm pretty sure that this is what is keeping me from being able to change the volume's icon, but I have NO idea how to address it. The share is shared the identically to the other shares on the Windows box. It has the same permissions as the other shares. I connect to it in the same exact way I connect to the other shares (all of the connections are executed via an Automator script). Any ideas how to get this sorted out?

Thanks,

Sam

Mac App Store-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 9:19 PM

1 reply

Can't change smb volume icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.