Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text disappears when composing replies using work account (Exchange)

Hello

This is an annoying bug on iOS Mail that affects both the iPhone and the iPad. It has been present in iOS 6 and 7 and I have reproduced it on several devices I have owned including iPhone 4 and 5 and the iPad 2. I have totally reset the devices and reinstalled everything from scratch without using any backup thinking that this would solve the problem but sadly the bug always comes back.

Many times (but not always) when replying or forwarding an email from my work's email account that uses Exchange, the address and subject fields, also the text of the previous email you are replying/forwarding that is shown under your signature, just disappear. You can continue writing your text, and if you tap the send button the email is correctly sent, but composing the mail is a mess. Another symptom when this happens is that the text lines appear to have almost endless length when writing continuous text, Mail does not input any carriage return at the end of the screen as it usually does when everything is working normally. Again, when you send the email the formatting shows correctly, both in the sent items folder on Mail and when it is displayed in the recipient's email client.

This happens only when replying/forwarding mail from my work account. I have not seen it on other accounts I have on my devices, like Gmail or Hotmail. Once I find a message that shows the bug I can reproduce it all over again with the same message, but it doesn't affect all the messages. I have not found what is that triggers it.

The bug looks like this:

http://i57.tinypic.com/142f1g2.png

Everything looks normal when you start to write but after the 4rth. word or so the different texts disappear. No address fiends and no text of the previous mail can be seen anymore.

Here is the same mail without the bug active:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2ln8y3a.png

As you can see all the fields are present and the text of the mail been replyed is shown correctly under the signature.

Any idea about how to fix this?

Google has not helped.

Thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 9:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 9:34 PM

I have been using Exchange email for years and never witnessed this behavior. If you have restored this device as new and it is still happening, it should not be a fault of the iOS software. Have you inquired with the Exchange administrator to see if this is happening with any other users of mobile devices. If it is present on multiple devices and multiple iOS, then I would be questioning the Exchange accout, since that is the only account this is happening on. If it were the fault of the Mail app, then it would happen on other accounts as well.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2014 9:34 PM in response to DavidG74

I have been using Exchange email for years and never witnessed this behavior. If you have restored this device as new and it is still happening, it should not be a fault of the iOS software. Have you inquired with the Exchange administrator to see if this is happening with any other users of mobile devices. If it is present on multiple devices and multiple iOS, then I would be questioning the Exchange accout, since that is the only account this is happening on. If it were the fault of the Mail app, then it would happen on other accounts as well.

Text disappears when composing replies using work account (Exchange)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.