Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which format to play on HDTV via usb thumb drive?

I have a client who wants a video I just made in fcpx to loop continuously on his HDTV in his companies lobby. He wants the best quality 1080 HD clip on a thumb drive, that then plugs right into the TV.

What is the safest format to save it in? I usually just upload to youtube or vimeo, never had to export to a "generic" format. I tried using the Apple 1080HD preset right out of FCPX, and that made a .m4v file, but are .m4v files universal enough?

Any insights?

I don't know what TV he's using at all, so I'm at a loss to some degree.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 8:54 PM

1 reply

Feb 13, 2014 6:01 AM in response to synter

synter wrote:

I don't know what TV he's using at all, so I'm at a loss to some degree.

It's an entirely reasonable question to ask what the make and model is and then to check the user guide for supported formats. There are no universal formats with these manufacturers. The most reliable solution would be to create a looping Blu Ray physical disk from either Compressor or FCPX. But that assumes you have access to a burner and playback device. Another option would be to play the video file from a laptop.

Russ

which format to play on HDTV via usb thumb drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.