Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Format External Hard Drive Without Data Loss

Hi,

I recently bought a 2013 Macbook Air 13'' with 128GB of flash storage. I have a Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1.5TB external hard drive that has alrady 850GB of used storage from previous computers and 650GB free. It is however formatted to the NTFS format, which allows me to view files but not write new ones on the drive.

My question is: Can I partition the drive into 2 or 3 partitions without losing the data? I am aware that I would have to reformat it into another format, but can it be done without losing everything that is on it? Also can I create a new partition with another format instead of reformatting the whole hard drive? I would like to use the remaining space for two things: backup and storage; Time Machine for backup and another partition to store other files such as movies and pictures to free up space on the Macbook. Which format would you recommend considering that I would like to view movies and pictures on a PS3, from at least one partition.

Thank you for the help!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 10:38 PM

2 replies

Feb 12, 2014 11:03 PM in response to mishavieru23

Yes, what you can , and what you SHOULD do are 2 diff. things.

A: hard drives are cheaper than dirt, buy another

B: youre trying, in error, what a LOT of people do, which is create a fatal SINGLE choke point of data loss disaster by lumping everything into ONE HD, which will, without question fail at some point. Just dont do it.

~~~~I would like to use the remaining space for two things: backup and storage

bad, bad, and worse idea, dont do it. Lots do that, most all end up regretting it.

Never let yourself pile your data into a single external backup, most people fall under the false belief that data ON the computer and one copy OFF the computer is 2 copies, but thats never to be considered the case, 2 minimum copies externally, period.

computers are worthless, data is priceless, ......external HD are cheap as dirt, $100 for a nice 2TB ext. 2.5" HD.

"forget" the current HD you have in NTFS, keep it with its computer, or transfer over some of that data to your Mac as you need it.

secondly, get 2 more HD, one for your TM backups, and another for data archive redundancies to put in a firebox or safe, or etc.

Losing months or years of priceless data over $150 worth of hard drives is pure senseless.

You paid $1000+ plus for a computer to save / create/ etc. data...... spend at least $150 on a couple more HD to protect that data.

Methodology to protect your data. Backups vs. Archives. Long-term data protection

The Tragedy that will be, the tragedy that never should be

Always presume correctly that your data is priceless and takes a very long time to create and often is irreplaceable. Always presume accurately that hard drives are extremely cheap, and you have no excuse not to have multiple redundant copies of your data copied on hard drives and squirreled away several places, lockboxes, safes, fireboxes, offsite and otherwise.

Hard drives aren't prone to failure…hard drives are guaranteed to fail (the very same is true of SSD). Hard drives dont die when aged, hard drives die at any age, and peak in death when young and slowly increase in risk as they age.

Never practice at any time for any reason the false premise and unreal sense of security in thinking your data is safe on any single external hard drive. This is never the case and has proven to be the single most common horrible tragedy of data loss that exists.

Many 100s of millions of hours of lost work and data are lost each year due to this single common false security. This is an unnatural disaster that can avoid by making all data redundant and then redundant again. If you let a $60 additional redundant hard drive and 3 hours of copying stand between you and years of work, then you've made a fundamental mistake countless 1000s of people each year have come to regret.

Feb 13, 2014 10:40 PM in response to mishavieru23

I agree with PlotinusVeritas. Buy more external disk drives. Keep the NTFS one as an archive.

You need at least two copies of your data at all times to protect it.

Apparetnly a PS3 can read a FAT32 disk, so one of the disks should be FAT32 but that has a limit of 4 GB per file so I don't know how that will play well with your video fies. If the PS3 can read exFAT then that would be ideal. exFAT is a Windows filesystem that the Mac can read and write. But will the PS3 support it?

Let's assume the PS3 will support FAT32 and not exFAT. You would not want to use FAT32 for your main media drive because of the 4 GB filesize restriction. I would use a 64 GB, FAT32 formatted thumb drive to transfer media from the Mac to the PS3. I would us a standard MacOS Extended (journaled) disk for all of your offloaded media.

So far this is an archived NTFS drive, a Mac formatted media drive, and your internal drive. I would copy all of the NTFS info onto the Mac drive so you won't lose it if and when the NTFS drive fails. Store it in a folder on the Mac drive, not in a separate partition.

You will then want a backup drive at least as large as the the media drive. Use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to backup the media drive onto its backup drive. Time Machine is great but not the best for dealing with TBs of data, which you are approaching.

You then need a Time Machine backup volume to backup your internal system volume. You could purchase a 3 TB backup drive and partition it into a cloned partition for the media drive and a Time Machine partition. Resist temptation to put any live files on this backup volume. Use it only for backups.

Once you have the NTFS information on the Mac OS formatted drive which has been backed up, I would reformat the drive to Mac OS Extended (journaled) and use it as a cloned backup of the media drive that you keep in some safe physical place not near your computer or its backups. That is a disaster recovery drive in case of fire, theft, flood etc. You dont want to see your life’s media literally go up in smoke.

So that will leave you with three external disks to maintain, one live media drive and two backup drives, not including the 64 GB FAT32 thumb drive.

Format External Hard Drive Without Data Loss

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.