Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple hardware test

My computer is a late 2008 MacBook Pro 15inch. And I want to run the Apple a Hardware. test because I've been having a lot of issues lately with it crashing when waking from sleep and just crashing for no reason suddenly. The problem is, since its so old AHT is not installed in the machine. I do have the latest version of OS X Mavericks installed but that doesn't seem to help.

The thing is, I seem to have to use the application install disc that came with my computer in order to run the hardware test, and the problem is that I already removed the optical drive and replaced it with an SSD. But even if I kept the optical drive in its still broken anyways and it hasn't work since a few years ago. Are there any way to run the AHT on my computer without using the disc that came with my computer?

I tried pressing and a holding the D key before the screen lights up but it simply took a much longer time to boot up and still went to the login screen.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 1:48 AM

2 replies

Feb 13, 2014 1:55 AM in response to Dayday95

You need the original discs - see -> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509.

But the AHT isn't that great anyway. If I were you, I would take the machine to your local Apple Store or an AASP and have them run more comprehensive tests only available to Apple techs. The diagnosis should be free of charge as well as any estimate to repair.

Good luck,

Clinton

Feb 13, 2014 1:58 AM in response to Dayday95

Are there any way to run the AHT on my computer without using the disc that came with my computer?

I do not believe so since you are using a 2008 MBP. System DVDs are machine specific.

Someone else more knowledgeable will have to chime in here if there are alternatives.

I do have the latest version of OS X Mavericks

Not according to your system profile!

"OS X Mountain Lion"

Please correct.

User uploaded file

Apple hardware test

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.