Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Applications Don't launch ..:(

Hello Again ..!!

I migrated from Snow Leopard to Mavericks on my late 2009 unibody macbook. The installation went well but now I'm having a terrible time working on my mac.

Most of my applications such as (Terminal / App Store / Software Update / Camera / iPhoto / iMessage ) don't launch..!!

My finder acts weird ..!! At times, it'll show the files on my hard drive, at times it goes blank .. The only way out of this is to relaunch..

Am i the only one facing these issues ..?? Now how will I ever be able to update the upcoming updates when my software update doesn't work ..??

Please help ..:(

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 6:24 AM

I would try running repair disk.

If that does not help, I would restore your system from a backup (you made before the update), and start the update again.

Barry

5 replies

Feb 13, 2014 6:39 AM in response to gaggy

😟 (no backup).

I never make software changes unless I have a good (several, in my case) backup. That is the end of my preaching.

From what you describe, your current system is a mess. I do not know if reinstalling from your CD would work or what might or might not happen to your data.

Do run repair disk before you do anything else.

Barry

Message was edited by: Barry Hemphill

Feb 13, 2014 11:37 AM in response to gaggy

You ran a defective third-party "utility" such as "CleanMyMac" that purports to "clean up" "junk" files. What it really does is to corrupt the operating system.

The first thing you need to do is remove that software according to the developer's instructions. Never install it, or anything like it, again. Then see below.

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.9 ("Mavericks"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

My Applications Don't launch ..:(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.