Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I purchased a used ipad and it is locked under the old owner. I can not contact them. What do i do?

I purchased a used ipad. It is locked under the old owners icloud (find my device) I can not contact them. What can i do?

thx

iPad 2, iOS 7

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 8:53 AM

2 replies

Feb 13, 2014 2:04 PM in response to chase1975

Same thing happened to me this last weekend. Bought an iPad on Craigslist and turns out I got duped and I can't get a hold of the chick who sold it to me. I called Apple as well as local law enforcement agencies (wasn't stolen and they can't do anything). Apple won't contact original owner for you because of their privacy policy. Unless someone figures out a way to bypass iCloud, the only solution is to sell it for parts on eBay. That's what I'm doing! List it on eBay with a reserve, start it at $0.99 on a Sunday night 7 day auction and hopefully you will get your money back. I am getting a lot of response on mine so far.

Hopefully Apple will at least begin contacting original iCloud registrants (whoever registered the serial number) to see if product was stolen and if they can remove it from their devices. There needs to be some sort of solution for people who buy Apple products second-hand legitimately!

I purchased a used ipad and it is locked under the old owner. I can not contact them. What do i do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.