Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Layout break

Pages 2009 had a very neat trick. You can insert a layout break anywhere on your page and change the column structure. This gave the page layout a great flexibility, e.g. you can have a broad title at the top across the page, followed by a synopsis for an article again across the page, then the article itself in two column form. You can employ the same trick to add a large photo or illustration, then regain the two column format. In layout mode, and in other layout applications such as "InDesign" you employed text boxes to achieve the same effect.

This unique feature is now absent from Pages 5.3, and the only way I can achieve the same effect is to create an one-cell table across the page and fill it with whatever text format you like. Awkward. (Of course, you can link a picture to the text or to the page). If the "Layout Break" feature is buried somewhere in the application, can someone please point me to it? It is not obvious.

While I like the new UI feature of selective inspector, its layout for some functions is far from obvious or logical. You certainly have to do a lot of 'sniffing around' in the new Pages. The overall feeling of this community, I gather, is that we are all looking forward to a "Sensible" Pages 5.

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 9:29 AM

Use Pages 09 instead of Pages 5.x. You should still have it in Applications/iWork 09 folder. PAges 5 lacks over 90 features which Pages 09 has. I don't struggles with Pages 5 when I have Pages 09 that works so much better.

8 replies

Dec 14, 2014 6:41 PM in response to Ayman Sheltawy

Yes, this one has been frustrating me for a while. I wanted two column sections interleaved with one column sections. Your post made sense. But I would add what I found.

If there is nothing selected and the cursor is a blinking carat, changing the number of columns affects all text from that point to the next layout break.

If text is selected, changing the number of columns only affects the selected text and the previous layout breaks are inserted automatically. Hence no need for Insert>Layout Break.

This is actually a simplification (and more obvious, unless you are used to the previous way Pages worked), and not a removal of features.

Dec 14, 2014 7:00 PM in response to Ian Joyner

Ian Joyner wrote:

This is actually a simplification (and more obvious, unless you are used to the previous way Pages worked), and not a removal of features.

Yes it is a simplification, as I pointed out, but it is a removal of features as there is no Layout indent, before or after and the ability to have a first page start down the page is gone.

The layouts I previously did for a series of travel guides are impossible in Pages 5.

Compounded by the lack of Facing Pages, Textbox linking and Captured layouts as well.

Peter

Layout break

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.