Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FIX: (for me at least) MOV file importing issue...

Recently my iPhoto library stopped working. All I got was a spinner and it never opened even after leaving my MBP sitting for an hour.

So I moved my iPhoto Library to my document folder and created a new iPhoto library and re-imported from the Masters folder. Everything except videos imported.

After messing around I found a solution that worked for me.

After you re-import to your new library create another library. iPhoto well restart and use this library. Once the new Library is up, switch back to your previous library which you re-imported to. Now import your videos.

1. Make a backup of your iPhoto Library, or at least make a copy the Masters folder.

2. At this point there should be no iPhoto Library in your Pictures folder (could be different if you use a custom location).

3. Create a new iPhoto Library.

4. Import from the backup you made in step 1.

This is where people starting getting "can not import" errors with a list of video files.

5. Create a new library. iPhoto will restart and use this library.

6. Switch back to your main iPhoto Library. The one from step 3.

7. Re-import but make sure you do not import duplicates. When the window popups up select Do Not import so that you don't re-import the same photos.

The videos should now import.

For some reason creating a new library and switching to it and back to your new library does something to allow videos to be imported again.

This worked for me, might not for others but I hope it does for you.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion, iPhone 4s fully updated.

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 10:09 AM

6 replies

Feb 13, 2014 10:21 AM in response to JimBurnett

With no details only guesses can be made - but it is extremely likely that simply repairing your original library would have resolved your issue without all of the data loss created by your "fix" - the likely solution would be Back up your iPhoto library, Depress and hold the option (alt) and command keys and launch iPhoto - rebuild your iPhoto library database

LN

Feb 13, 2014 12:02 PM in response to JimBurnett

JimBurnett wrote:

LOL.

Maybe it is a LOL matter to you but to me making suggestions that result in users losing lots nd lots of data is most certainly NOT a laughing matter in any way - your suggestion should not be used by anyone who cares about the hisry, edits, projects, pdates or other information that is lost using your suggestion - te least you could do is warn eople of the negative reaults of following yoru recommenations

LN

FIX: (for me at least) MOV file importing issue...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.