Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Product Key page freezes on Windows 8 installation every time!

I installed Windows 8 on my macbook air off a Windows 8 DVD. It worked just fine until I hit the product key page. At the product key page, neither my trackpad nor my keyboard works which means I am unable to insert my product key in or press "skip" for that matter. I restarted and tried again a number of times to no avail. Anybody know a fix?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 1:01 PM

26 replies

Feb 16, 2014 12:34 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Yea so i have the latest windows support software for win 8, the one that just came out like 3 days ago. i just cant get into the OS to install it because i cant get past the product key page. also, im not using bootcamp because when i try to, it says that my win 8 DVD is not 64 bit and will therefore not work. so i just booted from the disk and installed it independantly. but yea, i have all the lastest support software, i installed the 64 bit version of win 8 pro, and nothing seems to work.

Feb 16, 2014 12:32 AM in response to tug-

so i tried using my wired logitec usb mouse but it hasnt worked yet. this on screen keyboard however seems interesting. how would i go about doing that? it all seems impossible because i have yet to actually get into the OS to use my comp. the product page is like that final part of installing the OS where you get to "personalize" your screen and such. there are limited options here.

Feb 16, 2014 12:51 AM in response to whitakermuller

the onscreen keybourd is found by clicking on the "wheelchair" shaped icon to the lower left part of the personalize screen.

please try this. go back into osx, connect your wired usb mouse, if it doesnt work for you there try another usb port.

reason for this is when i connected my wired mouse at the cus. screen it didnt work, but after connecting in osx all was fine. however, strangly it would only work when plugged into the inner most usb port. i have an imac.

then go back into windows with the wired mouse still connected.

Feb 16, 2014 1:06 AM in response to tug-

hey tug, so i tried it and the mouse lazer would flash at the rEFI screen where i choose where i want to boot and stuff. it would flash and work until the product key page loaded, and then, lights off. nothing. the mouse didnt work at all and neither did the keyboard. i guess the motherboard or whatever shuts this function off when in windows for some reason?

Feb 16, 2014 1:53 AM in response to tug-

but my mouse isnt wireless. its wired. its just wired and USB. heres a link to it here.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Optical-Wired-Mouse-910-001601/dp/B003B4BBFK/ref= sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392544329&sr=8-1&keywords=logitec+m100r

i think what i might need to do is go into the BIOS somehow and enable legacy mode for usb devices? i just have absolutley no idea how to do that. would you think this might work?

Product Key page freezes on Windows 8 installation every time!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.