Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Retina upgrade questions.

Hey guys,

A warm hello. This is my very first post on the community, and i feel privildged to be here. Been an iPhone user since gen 1, now want to extend my love to MacBook Pro Retina.

I am planning on getting the rMBP 15.5" 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 256 Flash Storage. I am choosing the higher end setup in terms of CPU and RAM capacity, but below average in terms of storage. I already have 72TB media server hooked to my A/V Rack, that is on Windows Home Server. Most of the time i will be using the laptop at home, where i can map the network and store and access my files from the media server. But there might be times when i'll be touring, or on vacation. One of the main reasons i am getting the higher end laptop is for my new found love for Photography which requires CPU and memory intensive processing for rendering RAW images. I am not a pro, and wont be.. this is plain hobby.

Now here is my main question, will i be able to upgrade just the flash storage in the future. Not now!! Say like in a year or so? I realize there is a kit that can be used, but they dont have it for the newer models.. thats what my colleague told me.. is this true? And if so, how hard is to upgrade the storage on the newer mbp? i can setup new desktops etc.. so i somewhat good with PC hardware etc.

Also, if i install windows on the side, will running both the OS on the MBP draw double the cpu/memory resources? Its like when we install Windows in VMWare the cpu consumption doubles up along with RAM. Is this going to be the same for MBP?

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 1:08 PM

will i be able to upgrade just the flash storage in the future?

No and maybe. Best to decide now. Apple's official stance is there are no user servicable parts on the new MBPs (except for the mid-2012 model).

It is possible that in the future OWC (macsales.com) and others will have SSD upgrades for your Mac but you can't count on that. Installing a 3rd-party SSD would void the warranty. If you take it to Apple for repairs with a 3rd-party SSD they will not touch it. At that point you could reïnstall the old SSD but if there is evidence you opened the Mac that might not help.

You can run Windows via a VM (as you described) or dual-boot using BootCamp (runing one at a time for higher performance).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2014 1:08 PM in response to ex0rcist

will i be able to upgrade just the flash storage in the future?

No and maybe. Best to decide now. Apple's official stance is there are no user servicable parts on the new MBPs (except for the mid-2012 model).

It is possible that in the future OWC (macsales.com) and others will have SSD upgrades for your Mac but you can't count on that. Installing a 3rd-party SSD would void the warranty. If you take it to Apple for repairs with a 3rd-party SSD they will not touch it. At that point you could reïnstall the old SSD but if there is evidence you opened the Mac that might not help.

You can run Windows via a VM (as you described) or dual-boot using BootCamp (runing one at a time for higher performance).

Macbook Pro Retina upgrade questions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.