Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PlayStation 4 and Port Forwarding

Hello Community,

Like many others, I am one of those customers that has a PlayStation 4, a PlayStation Vita, and a home network centered with an Airport Extreme. And like all of those others, Remote Play doesn't work outside of the home network. Internally, it works perfect. Outside of the network, no go.

I've followed the steps to configure port forwarding that were written by Tesserax. Here's the thing with those instructions: I have two other ports open to my iMac on the network, which has a statically-assigned IP, and if I go to http://www.canyouseeme.org, those two ports (22 for SSH and 9969 for ServeToMe) can be seen from the outside. However the range of ports needed for Remote Play, TCP and UDP ports 9295-9304, can not be seen.

I went back and followed Tesserax's instructions by assigning an IP to the PlayStation 4 via DHCP only handing out the PS4's IP by MAC reservation and still no go. Also tried making the PS4 the default host and still can not see it from outside the network.

I'm an IT professional for a living, so I'm not an average user, but I have never seen a router that is as picky about settings as the AirPort Extreme is. I went from loving this hardware to despising it for how hard it is to open ports up for it. I have my network setup with an Extreme as the main router and an Express to extend the signal.

If someone can throw us PS4 and AirPort users a bone to get this configuring, you'd be an amazing person.

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 3:50 PM

12 replies

Feb 14, 2014 10:23 AM in response to czimmerman

Hi. I have an AirPort Extreme and an Express. So I see the problem you're having is port forwarding. Well, to be honest, I think AirPorts are the easiest to port forward on, though there's some background steps you have to do first. Are you running the airport as your primary router? Because if not, then you'll have to forward the ports from your main router to the airport. My suggestion, throw the primary into DMZ mode and then make the AirPort your main router. Next, you just use go into AirPort utility and then put the ports and IPAdress in. Then, restart the base station, and voila. It should work. If you have any trouble, just reply here!

Feb 14, 2014 3:30 PM in response to iNosey

Hello,

Yes the Extreme is the main router. I have my own cable modem that connects direct into the Extreme. The PS4 is connected via Ethernet to the AirPort.

And the suggestions of putting the IP for DHCP reservation has already been done, and is currently how it is configured. 10.0.1.50 is reserved my MAC address in the Extreme with TCP/UDP ports 9295-9304 forwarded to 10.0.1.50.

Feb 20, 2014 7:52 PM in response to czimmerman

Ever get this working czimmerman? I started a new thread a few days before you and haven't gotten any input. The other thread I've found seems to say some folks are getting an additional router at home in order to make it work. I haven't done the DHCP reserviation but would LOVE to find a step by step of how to get vita remote working away from home with my current Extreme setup.

May 1, 2014 5:49 PM in response to czimmerman

My Remote Play is now working remotely after PS4 System 1.7 Update (and Vita Update) so you might want to give it another try. My Time Capsule setup is as follow:

Under the Network page

* Router Mode: DHCP and NAT

* DHCP Reservations: I don't have anything here since I assigned a static address of 10.0.1.201 to my PS4

* Port Settings: I added an new entry -

Description: PS Vita Remote Play

Public UDP Ports: 9295-9304

Public TCP Ports: 9295-9304

Private IP Address: 10.0.1.201

Private UDP Ports: 9295-9304

Private TCP Ports: 9295-9304

Under the Network Options button

* check Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol

* check Enable default host at: 10.0.1.201

NOTE: There are some cable modems/DSL modems out there that actually contains a rounter inside, in that case then you should set the Aiport/Time Capsule to use Bridge Mode then configure the modem instead.

May 3, 2014 12:57 PM in response to BTang

BTang thanks for the info! When I saw the message during the Vita update this week I got curious if that might lead to it working. With my current settings when I tried away from home I didn't have success but I don't have my PS4 set to a static IP address. Did you just assign it that number? My default setting says DHCP Range 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200 so I would use the 201 like you did?

Mind posting a fuller description of your PS4 and Vita settings for myself and others?

I don't rent a Comcast Modem, bought my own and its just a cable modem, no router.

But hopeful to hear that we may be past the UPnP barrier that seemed to be the problem since Nov.

(Jeez for as MUCH as I know about Macs (I'm the office Mac Genius) I know bupkis about networks!)

May 5, 2014 9:59 AM in response to CommanderClif

I am not a network expert so my understanding is that since DHCP (dynamic) range is set from 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200 (10.0.1.1 is the router itself which is the Default Gateway), therefore from 10.0.1.201 to 10.0.1.225 are the static ones that you can assign. To answer your question if you haven't already assigned 10.0.1.201 to a device then you can assign your PS4 to use 10.0.1.201 like I did.

(don't read this paragraph if you don't want to get more confused, you can simply use the static method above) Alternatively you can continue to use your current DHCP address, however you will have to configure the DHCP Reserveration part of the setting under Airport/TimeCap's Network page. This is required so that the DHCP address for your PS4 doesn't get changed after Airport/TimeCap restart. To do so, you will need to obtain the MAC Address from PS4, then go to Airport Utility's Network page to add a new DHCP Reservation, set it to Reserve Address By: MAC Address, enter the PS4 MAC address, then enter the DHCP address that your PS4 is currently using in IPv4 Address filed.

My PS4 setting is as follow:

Internet Connection - ON

Connection Method - LAN Cable

IP Address Settings - Manual

IP Address - 10.0.1.201

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Getway - 10.0.1.1

Primary DNS - 10.0.1.1

Secondary DNS - 0.0.0.0

MAC Address (LAN Cable) - MAC address of the LAN network card

MAC Address (Wi-Fi) - MAC address of the WiFi network card

MTU - Automatic

Proxy Server - Do Not Use

NAT Type - Type 2

Note: Depending whether you are using LAN or WiFi to connection, during the manual process you will have to assign the static IP to that connection if you are going with the static IP route. If you are going with the DHCP route then first come to this page to see what DHCP address is currently assiged to your PS4 then go back to Airport Utility to do a DHCP Reservation on this address.

PSVita Settings:

Network Settings - Nothing special. Just set it to use DHCP to connect to Wifi

Remote Play - Just follow the standard steps to connect to your PS4 at your home first, then you should be good.

Please let me know if you have addtional questions, good luck!

May 5, 2014 5:07 PM in response to BTang

Holy Shuhei!

That's got it! I think I could have figured it out based on your discussion post here but the link to the steps with screenshots you set up was a great reference to follow!

After setting up and connecting again here on local wifi just to make sure they knew each other, I used the LTE data connection on my iPhone as a hot spot to get the vita online and was able to connect out thorugh the whole cell network system and back through my ISP at home and connect, pretty awesome. Will try from the office tomorrow, hoping there aren't any closed port issues on the office wifi network that I'll have to deal with.

Since you asked for comments on your Tumblr post the only two things I saw to mentions was one, you had reference to a screenshot to come <PS4 Network Status screenshot to be added> and then as I was going through setting up my PS4 as a Static IP (maybe since I didn't have a screenshot to reference) I wasn't sure what all to fill on on the Manual setting page since by default everything was 0.0.0.0

BUT

since I had your discussion post here I was able to use the:

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Getway - 10.0.1.1

Primary DNS - 10.0.1.1

Secondary DNS - 0.0.0.0

that you had on here so you might want to include that in the text area.

May 5, 2014 5:10 PM in response to BTang

Thanks again BTang! Wish I could hit the "this solved my problem" but I wasn't the creator of the the thread. Will certainly pass along your link and knowledge to other PS4/AirPort Extreme folks I come across.

I'm not a big online gamer but certain need to look to build up who my PS4 friends are! If you want to connect, here is my PSN name: commanderclif

May 6, 2014 5:56 AM in response to CommanderClif

So I thought this might happen, when at the office and I try and connect to the PS4 via the internet, shortly after it stops looking locally and begins searching the internet, I get a "Could not connect to the server or device within the time limit.(NW-2439-8)"

Which when I look it up says: SCE_NET_ERROR_EAGAIN|SCE_NET_ERROR_EWOULDBLOCK

Running an Internet Connection Test here at the office everyhing runs successfully UNTIL the NAT type test which it fails and I get (NW-8960-3) again.

Couldn't find any info about that error code.

I'm able to browse the store and other online functions and figuring that this NAT is what is not allowing me to Remote Play. Maybe its a port I need to try and open on the wifi access point here at the office? Any idea which port to try??

PlayStation 4 and Port Forwarding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.