Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to edit book metadata in iBooks

I like iBooks - as a reader it's much better than Kindle, and nearly as good as som of the Android readers i've used.

The problem I have is that the Bookshelf is nearly unusable. It has metadata for "Collections", "Author" and "Category", but it looks like the only one I can make chages to is "Collections".

I have books where the author's name is misspelled or in the wrong order, eg. "A. Smith" vs. "Smith, A.", where the Category is just wrong - even within a series of related books.

I thought had the problem solved by exporting the books to Calibre, changing the information there, and importing them back into iBooks, but nothing changes.

I've tried editing the iTunesMetadata.plist file that lives in the folder with the rest of the pdfs and jpegs thet comprise each book, but that seems to have no effect either.

The list view in iBooks contains all of the data I would like to change, but there does not seem to be any editing capability in it.

Does anybody have ideas how I can fix up my book collection?

Walt

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 7:04 AM

It is not presently possible to edit metadata in iBooks.

14 replies

Feb 15, 2014 8:52 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

Upon further thought - the information I want to change is in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/

in a folder that seems to be a hash or other encoding of the book title, in a file called iTunesMetadata.plist. Changing that file does not change anything in iBooks or iTunes.

To further complicate issues, I am not clear about the connection among iTunes iBooks (Mac) and iBooks (iPad). There seems to be no correlation between what iBooks on the Mac says and what shows up in the iPad after syncing - and the syncing seems to be controlled by iTunes, not iBooks.

Any help is welcome!

Walt

Dec 20, 2015 4:50 PM in response to walt_scrivens

I just came across information here http://www.epubor.com/how-to-edit-ibooks-meta-data-under-mac-os-x-mavericks.html where it states that after you make the metadata changes in Calibre, you have to re-convert the file to epub even though it is already epub. I just tried it with my ~250 books of which about 50 required changes, e.g. new cover, series, title, etc. This created 2 files under the title: booktitle.epub and booktitle.original_epub. I then re-added to ibooks and all except 1 book took the correct changes. You may want to delete the books from ibooks before you re-add them.

I'd say that the re-conversion will somehow write some data to the epub file as the two files are different file sizes, about 4kb.

Mar 19, 2016 6:48 PM in response to walt_scrivens

I have this issue too, it's very frustrating. In iTunes there isn't a series name or series number. The new version of iBooks shows the series info in the list view, but again it appears to be blocked from editing. And the blocking doesn't seem to mater if the epub was purchased from iTunes store or other source. Major fail on Apple's part when I have almost 400 books in my library. Has anyone here found another solution/option? I tried using both the programs mentioned, Marvin didn't have the series info fields and Calibre had all the fields I wanted but when I imported books back to iTunes all changes where lost even after recreating the file and deleting the original.

Mar 24, 2016 10:07 AM in response to tlsKeller

I tried Calibre, but unless I'm doing something wrong or missing a step I couldn't get it to work.

This is what I did....

1) imported book -- edit metadata -- export the book -- in the caliber output folder I deleted the original file and only kept the newly created file

2) in iTunes -- deleted original file -- imported new file -- iTunes not showing changes other than title/name

I tried this with 15 different books by 3 different authors to see if it would make a difference and it didn't. I read something about Calibre not working with DRM files and wondered if that could be the problem.

how to edit book metadata in iBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.