Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I recover data from a single App using an iTunes backup and put it back on my iPhone?

An app I use (Text Me 2) automatically cleared conversation history. I have an iTunes back-up of it from last year. I tried searching a ton and found articles, but never found a step-by-step article from start to finish describing how I can get only that app's data back on my iPhone without having to restore the entire thing (otherwise I lose all of my last 6 months of content)? All the articles I read stopped after using the iPhone backup extractor to extract, and didn't tell me how to get that back onto my iPhone. I use iTunes on Mac OS Mavericks also.

Thanks in advance!

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 8:16 PM

5 replies

Feb 13, 2014 8:33 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Then what's with all of the programs these two responses mention and being able to restore a single app data?

If you know you are going to do this in advance and have a jailbroken phone, use AppBackup which you can get through cydia. Otherwise, if this need arises after having restored already, you can get the data from an iPhone backup using iPhone Backup Extractor and/or a Time Machine backup (you can google to find the location of the backups, but I think it's in Application Support > Mobile Sync > Backups), and then restore the documents/library folders of the application using iExplorer (which is by the same people who made iPhone Explorer but was changed for legal reasons and now is slightly more user friendly and suited for this purpose. I just did this to restore my Angry Birds scores/data among other things.

and

I do that with iTools. You can backup each app with its data into an ipa file to the computer, to restore it individually. This allows you to merge apps with its data from different backups.

...not to mention I found several answers like this in various forums...

How do I recover data from a single App using an iTunes backup and put it back on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.