Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some cells in a simple "SUM" function not being recognized

I'm trying to do a basic GPA calculation. Whenever I try to calculate the sum of a column it's skipping over about 6 cells, resulting in the wrong calculation. It doesn't record the cells as zero's (although I guess that it technically does since they aren't getting counted), but it just doesn't even register that they are there. However when I send a basic multipication function across the same cells in their rows it registers and the function works just fine. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or what the program is doing wrong. Please help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 9:47 PM

6 replies

Feb 13, 2014 10:21 PM in response to vscalia11

Cells that are empty or contain text values are ignored bySUM, COUNT (and by AVERAGE). Cells that contain a numeric value, including 0, are COUNTed and included in the calculation of AVERAGE. If the grade on a particular test/assignment is zero, then enter it as a zero. An empty cell means no grade has yet been assigned. Basic GPA calculations don't usually include non-grades for projects that aren't yet due. 😉

The only 'basic multiplication function' is PRODUCT, which also ignores cells that are empty or contain text.

The multiplication operator ( * ) treats empty cells as zeroes, and chokes on text.

Example:

B1 contains =PRODUCT(B)

D1 contains the formula in the entry box above the table.

C1 contains the same formula with C replacing each D.

The error message is from the formula in D1.

User uploaded file

Regards,

Barry

Feb 14, 2014 4:56 AM in response to vscalia11

A likely explanation for it skipping some cells is that those cells are formatted as text. They may have numerals in them but if they are formatted as text, they will be skipped over by the SUM formula. However, they will be conveted to numbers and included if you addd them up with the + operator.

So, take a look at the cell format for each cell in that column/row. If it is not a numeric format, make it one.

Some cells in a simple "SUM" function not being recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.