Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installing mac os x 10.8 blank mac pro

i have a mac pro with two hdds and one ssd. all of them are blank. if i start the computer there is a grey file with a question mark in it. i dont have any installation dvd only the mountain lion and mavericks install programs from the app store.

i have another macbook pro (middle 2012) with os x 10.9. so my question is if its possible to install mountain lion (or mavericks) on the mac pro using an firewire 800/400 cable and target disk mode. do you think this works?

thanks for all tips.

Mac Pro

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 10:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 11:02 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

Of course. Just get a FireWire 800 cable to connect the Mac Pro to the MacBook and install OS X Mountain Lion or Mavericks from it. To start up the Mac Pro in Target Disk mode, hold the T key while your Mac is starting up.

Then, if the Mac Pro drive where you want to install OS X is formatted, you just need to start the OS X Mountain Lion or Mavericks installer and point the installer to install on to the Mac Pro drive. When the first step of the installation has finished and your MacBook Pro is going to restart, disconnect the FireWire cable and start up the Mac Pro to set it up. You can also carry on with the installation in your MacBook.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2014 11:02 PM in response to ceffpunkt

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

Of course. Just get a FireWire 800 cable to connect the Mac Pro to the MacBook and install OS X Mountain Lion or Mavericks from it. To start up the Mac Pro in Target Disk mode, hold the T key while your Mac is starting up.

Then, if the Mac Pro drive where you want to install OS X is formatted, you just need to start the OS X Mountain Lion or Mavericks installer and point the installer to install on to the Mac Pro drive. When the first step of the installation has finished and your MacBook Pro is going to restart, disconnect the FireWire cable and start up the Mac Pro to set it up. You can also carry on with the installation in your MacBook.

installing mac os x 10.8 blank mac pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.