Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone in Colombia

I live in Colombia, here 4G is brand new, and my carrier already offers this technology, although they're telling me that I can't use 4G on my iPhone 5 because Apple needs to make an upgrade of the software. Is this true?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 6:39 AM

The countries in which LTE is supported on the iPhone are listed here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

LTE is supported with Tigo for the iPhone 5C and 5S, but not the iPhone 5. So you would need a new iPhone to use LTE with Tigo. Whether support for LTE with other Colombian carriers will also require new hardware or only a software update will depend on the frequencies and bands your cell carrier is using.

Regards.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2014 6:39 AM in response to juan Pablo bogota Colombia

The countries in which LTE is supported on the iPhone are listed here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

LTE is supported with Tigo for the iPhone 5C and 5S, but not the iPhone 5. So you would need a new iPhone to use LTE with Tigo. Whether support for LTE with other Colombian carriers will also require new hardware or only a software update will depend on the frequencies and bands your cell carrier is using.

Regards.

Feb 14, 2014 7:00 AM in response to juan Pablo bogota Colombia

It could be Apple's or it could the carriers, or both. It depends on whether the existing iPhone hardware will support the LTE frequencies and bands Movistar uses. If it does, then it would be an issue of negotation between Apple and Movistar to enable LTE support. If Movistar uses different bands/frequencies for LTE, then Apple would need to release a different model of iPhone.

Regards.

iPhone in Colombia

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.