Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You need a newer version of Pages to open this document.

Can't seem to see why this message keeps coming up, I have version 5.1 runing OS 10.9.1

I can force it to open with Control key and "open with", and even tell it to always use 5.1, but it keeps saying this, any idears?

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 80's MacPlus, everything inbetween til this...

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 10:40 AM

Check which version is attempting to open the document when you get that message. I suspect it's Pages '09 (v4.3), which is not removed by the installation of Pages 5.

Choosing "Always open with..." in the contextual menu may apply only to that specific document. To associate ALL .pages documents with Pages 5,do this:

• Locate a .pages document in Finder.
  • Select (single click) the file.
  • Press command-I to Get Info.
  • In the Info window, expand the Open with... section.
  • Use the pop-up menu to select Pages 5.
  • Click the Change All button to set all documents with the .pages extension to open with Pages 5.

Consider carefully whether the annoyance is a compelling reason to remove Pages '09 though. If you are creating documents to be printed, there are several features in the earlier version that are not (yet) supported in the new one.

Regards,

Barry

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2014 10:40 AM in response to MassiveMassis

Check which version is attempting to open the document when you get that message. I suspect it's Pages '09 (v4.3), which is not removed by the installation of Pages 5.

Choosing "Always open with..." in the contextual menu may apply only to that specific document. To associate ALL .pages documents with Pages 5,do this:

• Click the Change All button to set all documents with the .pages extension to open with Pages 5.

Consider carefully whether the annoyance is a compelling reason to remove Pages '09 though. If you are creating documents to be printed, there are several features in the earlier version that are not (yet) supported in the new one.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 15, 2014 2:14 PM in response to MassiveMassis

I have Pages 5 installed, and have had no problem using it until today. I had not used it on the Mac in about a month, as I had been traveling. I was working on a document in Pages on my iPad, and when I went to open it on the Mac, running Maverick and Pages 2013, I get this message:

The version of Pages on the Mac is 5.0, The App Store does not show an update available, and I am at a loss. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jul 10, 2014 5:56 PM in response to MassiveMassis

I'm having the same issue. I did create it in version 5 of pages but still have Pages '09 installed. I uninstalled the latter but I'm having the issue still. This started just a couple of days and only is happening with a few files which is really strange. Some Pages documents created before this are working fine and so are some created after this happened so it simply does not make sense.

Jul 10, 2014 6:25 PM in response to Somerled ri Innse Gall

Resolution!!! In the end the culprit was my backup syncing software - SugarSync. What happened is when it made a backup and pushed that out to my computers it found a duplicate. In doing so it appends "(computer 2)" to the file name. In this case it actually did that to the contents of the Pages file. If you open the Pages file in Windows, for example, it treats it as a ZIP file. Inside of it several items (e.g. plist files, etc) had "(computer 2)" appended to the file name. After I removed that the file opened perfectly in Pages 5 on my computer.

Jul 22, 2014 8:10 PM in response to Barry

Barry wrote:

Regards,

Barry

The trouble with some of this advice is that those recommending this haven't actually tried it themselves.

This does nothing because all versions of Pages have the same file extension, .pages

You need to right click Open the files and choose the correct version from the pop-up.

Peter

Jul 22, 2014 8:26 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

So how do you get rid of the new one (which, BTW, came as part of a global update from Apple)?

I am not a computer geek. I derive no enjoyment from tinkering with my files and finding interesting things tucked away in Finder. I just want to turn on the god-**** computer and have it work the way it's supposed to.

PS. right-clicking on the files (using the ctrl-click method) did not work for me. I got the same error message when I did that. I did not get a pop-up window.

Jul 22, 2014 8:39 PM in response to TMJM

Pages 5 has an orange document icon.

Pages '09 has a blue ink bottle icon.

This is the full story:

You have 2 versions of Pages on your Mac and are alternately opening the wrong one.

Pages 5 is in your Applications folder.

Pages '09 is in your Applications/iWork folder.

Pages '09 can not open Pages 5, iOS 7 Pages, Pages for iCloud beta or iCloud files.

Pages 5 only runs on Mavericks and can not open Pages '08 or earlier files at all and alters/damages Pages '09 files, which once saved can not be opened by anything other than Pages 5.

Pages 5 files are in an odd compressed bundle, impossible to parse, which won't transfer via non-Apple servers. DropBox may have patched theirs, I haven't checked lately.

All Pages files, no matter what version or compatibility, have the same file extension: .pages.

Apple has removed over 110 features from Pages and many of the rest are buggy. They have confused their users and apparently themselves with the installations, upgrades and cross-transfers of files. Effectively Pages 5 files are only compatible with themselves in a very narrow range of hardware and software.

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewforum.php?f=22&mforum=iworktipsn trick

You can trash Pages 5 after Menu > File > Export > Pages '09 any files you converted to Pages 5.

Just drag Pages 5 to the Trash.

Peter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.