Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a thief disable Find My iPhone?

Someone stole my iPhone. I do not have a lock on it. I tried to locate it via Find My iPhone but it says it is offline. Could they have already deactivated everything? What happens if they take the SIM card out? Is it still trackable? If all hope is lost, what steps do I need to take regarding AT&T and Apple? I also have Apple Care.

iPhone 5

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 8:04 AM

What to do if your iOS device is lost or stolen

2 replies

Feb 14, 2014 8:03 AM in response to rondog33

If you did not have a passcode on the phone, the thief can access your data. If you had Find My iPhone activated, and it is showing offline, the the device is probably powered off. For Find My iPhone to work, the device has to be powered on and have an internet connection, either cellular or wi-fi. The thief cannot turn off Find My iPhone without your Apple ID and password, but they can disable the Find My iPhone by powering the phone off. If you had iOS 7 on the device, they will not be able to activate the phone because of Activation Lock.

Contact AT&T regarding your account. As far as Apple goes, Apple Care does not cover theft. If you want another iPhone, unless you have other insurance, you will have to purchase it.

Can a thief disable Find My iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.