Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote Page Numbers

How do I align all the page numbers in Keynote v6.1? And how do I change the text box size so they all match? I believe the size of the page number text box is the reason the page numbers are out of alignment but I am unable to edit the size. It will let me change the width but not the height. As you can see, when I select the page number text box it the height and constrain proportions box are greyed out.

User uploaded file

Basically what I'm trying to do is align all the page numbers throughout my master slides so that when any of the master slides are used in a presentation the slide numbers don't jump around. I've done the following to try and ensure this works:

- Set a specific paragraph style for the page number, applied it to all of them

- Checked the position to ensure they all are at the same x & y value

- Made sure the paragraph alignment was all set to right align

- Made sure the cell alignment was set to bottom

And yet I still can't get them to line up. Any idea of how I can 1.) Edit the size of the page number text box? and 2.) Ensure they are the same across all the master slides?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 8:42 AM

15 replies

Feb 14, 2014 3:21 PM in response to drumbum2342

Page numbers are set in the Master slide for the slides you are using:

open the master slide; view > edit master slides

in format inspector, select slide number

then click on the page number text box and in the inspector format > text > style change colour, font, and alignment

you can then move the page number box to any position in the slide, this shows top right,

coloured red in Helvetica italic:

User uploaded file

Feb 20, 2014 2:14 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Hi Gary,

I already know how to setup & format page numbers. My question was related to the consistent position of page numbers across multiple master slides. Do you know how to achieve this? Even manually moving the page numbers does not work and as you can see the page number text box size values are greyed out so I am unable to set an exact value. If the page number text boxes are different dimensions then the x & y postion values are useless.

Feb 20, 2014 2:39 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Of course. I wouldn't have mentioned it if I hadn't. Every time I click the checkbox in subsequent slides or select "show slide numbers on all slides" they default to being at the center bottom, not on the bottom left, for instance, where I had defined it to be in the first Master Slide. The problem isn't that they aren't showing up, it is that they aren't showing up in the position I defined.

It appears that the OP is experiencing the same issue with the consistent positioning.

Feb 20, 2014 2:52 PM in response to Gary Scotland

I thought about doing that but I have over 50 master slides that have already been created. I'm trying to avoid recreating all of them by duplicating one slide that has the page number set correctly. Do you know why the text box size of the page number is greyed out? On some slides both the hieght and width are editable but on others one or the other is greyed out or automatically set to a different value? Is it based on the character spacing?

Feb 21, 2014 2:20 AM in response to drumbum2342

I have over 50 master slides that have already been created. I'm trying to avoid recreating all of them by duplicating one slide that has the page number set correctly.

All thats involved is to set the position, size, colour and font of one page number on one slide master, copy it (command C), then go to each of your other slide masters in turn to delete the existing page number, then paste (command V) the new page number on the slide master. That will take only a few minutes to complete.

Do you know why the text box size of the page number is greyed out? On some slides both the hieght and width are editable but on others one or the other is greyed out or automatically set to a different value? Is it based on the character spacing?

This will be rectified by the above routine, changing one page numbers properties will be copied over to all your other masters.

Feb 21, 2014 8:35 AM in response to Gary Scotland

All thats involved is to set the position, size, colour and font of one page number on one slide master, copy it (command C), then go to each of your other slide masters in turn to delete the existing page number, then paste (command V) the new page number on the slide master. That will take only a few minutes to complete.

I am in the same boat as the OP. I had tried doing what you suggest originally but didn't have any luck as the pasted page number text box just said, "Text" in it when I pasted it onto other slides. It didn't inherit it's original status as a page number even though it did paste into the correct place.

So I ended up having to go through the deck by hand and pixel position each page number one at a time.

Feb 21, 2014 9:55 AM in response to Richard Benson2

when I pasted it onto other slides. It didn't inherit it's original status as a page number even though it did paste into the correct place.

You do understand I have explained the page number is to be pasted into a Slide Master not a slide?

However, If Keynote isnt showing the pagenumber the application is faulty and you should repair it:

1 delete all the iWork applications if you have them, not just Keynote by using Appcleanerfrom Mac Update to do this, its freeware

2 restart the Mac; Apple menu > restart

3 immediately after the start chime, press the shift key until you see the Apple symbol.

let it fully boot up, it will take longer as the OS is repairing the drive

4 when fully booted, go to Applications > Utilities > Disc Utility; click on the boot drive then First Aid tab and click repair disc permissions

5 when complete, restart the Mac normally

6 install Keynote from the Mac App Store

Feb 25, 2014 2:54 PM in response to drumbum2342

Problem solved. The "Text Insert" field found under the "Text" tab is the problem. It appears this field acts as a margin tool. Instead of individually controlling top, left, right, and bottom margins it increase/decreases them all at once by the same increment. If a text box has a top margin the text in it obviously isn't aligned to the top of the text box which then throws off the text position. The text box will be positioned correctly but the text inside the text box will not align to other objects

In the case of the master slide page numbers it effects the width and height of the page number text boxes as well as the text position. Once the "Text Insert" field is set to "0" all the page number text boxes should be the same dimensions and if manually positioned to the same coordinates all the page numbers throughout the master slides will align.

Feb 25, 2014 3:14 PM in response to drumbum2342

Nevermind - did some further testing and this did not solve the problem. 😟

Still having the issue. I've created a image that shows what is happening when I switch between slides, the page numbers are jumping position, not aligning:

User uploaded file

I've taken a screen capture of all the tabs/menus showing all the settings. These are exactly the same across all my master slides. So why are the page numbers still not aligning?

User uploaded file User uploaded file

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Keynote Page Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.