Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2010 Macbook Pro - Sudden Issues everywhere

Ok, so I've got a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro and just before Christmas all of a sudden issues just popped up everywhere. I'll give you a rundown of what all i've seen and what all I've done since.

So I start getting a message something like

- AppleSecurity - Unauthorized caller ...popping up intermittently. And then,

- Firefox, once you shut the window down you couldn't get open again, and when you quit the app the computer seemed to freeze

- ITunes wouldnt open

- App Store wouldnt open

- Safari would only open some webpages

- Steam worked 10% of the time.

- Powerpoint and Word would crash or not save etc.

- I had to push the button to restart to get the thing working again and from time to time it would freeze or crash shutdown at the grey screen.

- I kept getting small indications that the memory was full.

- Cant shut down or restart without holding the button

So I deleted stuff, generally cleaned up unneeded files etc. ... Same problems. I eventually got so exasperated that I just stuck everything I needed on a flash drive and wiped the user and started a new one.

Same problems but slightly better.... So at this point I go into the Apple Store and go to the Genius bar - The guy wipes runs a check on my hard drive and everything ticks the boxes barring battery which is at 74% roughly. Then he wipes everything off to a factory restart, updates it, then hands it back.

I get it back home and I have issues even setting up the user as if it was a new macbook. I have untick all the set time zone and network stuff to get it to work.

I get it back going and ... still problems... but slightly better. But I cant update flash, steam crashes, sometimes again things dont work. Safari sometimes doesnt open some webpages and I have to restart to get things to get working again.

Also, things seem to be a little better when I'm using the universities internet as opposed to the one in my flat.

SO...! Back into the Apple Store, Genius Bar, he runs a full check on the drive because he seen some I/O errors in the console. AND.. everything passes. He runs a full daignostic and still can't figure it out. He says he seen some weird messages about Steam causing problems in the console but that was it, which I dont think could be the problem because I was getting problems before I even reinstalled it after the factory wipe/reset. The network causing problems maybe?

What do I do people? No-one at the Apple Store can pinpoint whats going on?! I really want to get this fixed because I need this for uni and I can't afford a new one 😟

Please Help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Mid 2010 Macbook Pro

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 10:22 AM

6 replies

Feb 14, 2014 11:39 AM in response to EwenGrant

First and foremost, back things up.

Next, try this: keep the temperature of your machine under 160F at all times, and around 100F on average. Note if something happens (if anything). Do this for about an hour.

Now, note your temperature using Steam or other temperature-intensive applications or games. An hour of this, and write down the results.

When you're done with this test, post back here with your results.

Feb 14, 2014 11:39 AM in response to EwenGrant

The mid 2010 MBP has a history of logic board isuuses, I have one that the LB has been replaced twice.(Acually 3, if you count the first machine I returned) Apple extended the warranty to 3 years on all of them. You may want to have them check that, and replace it, ask about the flat rate repair.

Here is a bit about it, and it addresses the screen going black, but there is a host of problems that crop up. Video issues were not the problem on any of mine, everything else was.

This is what this sounds like, as you have replaced the drive and OSX, and had instant problems.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

Good luck

Feb 14, 2014 11:51 AM in response to sanjampet

sanjampet,

That's exactly what I was thinking. With logic/graphics board problems, the symptoms are variable, but they seem to happen all at once, seemingly without logic. Words like "2010 Macbook Pro" and "15 inch monitor" are closely associated with logic/graphics board problems.

The temperature test I suggested would be strong evidence of a logic board problem.

Once you're done with the test, EwenGrant should consistently keep all your temperatures under 160F, to preserve your machine.

Feb 14, 2014 12:35 PM in response to poikkeus1

poikkeus1,

After getting a "properly" functioning LB, the temps are much lower than that, even when beating onit doing live recording. idle 25-30 degrees max, beating it with a "pile of inputs" recording 65-70

The first machine i spent over 4 hours with a senior engineer doing an ARA, it was like someone took a shotgun and blasted the data all over the place.

I switched machines (after 30 days, which would say they knew they had an issue)

Second time temps off the map, and unexplainable "bizzare" behavior. (random)

second time same deal, all over the place.

Now everything seems happy, for months now. (I hope I just did not jinx myself)

It sure seems that would be the place to look, hence you should ask for the flat rate repair.

Best

Feb 14, 2014 12:54 PM in response to poikkeus1

You should go in to Apple Gennius armed with this info, as well as what I mentioned, and see if they will replace the LB at the "Flat rate" which is $310, and they fix what ever they find wrong. Be polite but firm, ask to speak with the manager if you need to escalate the issue.

Most of these folks are pretty cool about these kind of things. Your machine is still supported, and not yet considered "vintage"

try to get it replaced, i'll bet that is the problem.

User uploaded file

Mid-2010 Macbook Pro - Sudden Issues everywhere

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.