Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

250 GB MBP HD full up with no user documents (75 GB "backups")! Parallels, Virtual Box or Mavericks?

hi all,

i have a mid-2009 MBP and have moved ALL my user documents to my Mac Pro because the Hard Drive seems like it is full up. TechToolsPro keeps giving me a less than 15% available hard drive error. i am running Parallels with an install of Windows 7 and i recently downloaded Virtual Box to text it out. i have BOTH these softwares on my Mac Pro.

i am trying to run WhatSize and OmniDiskSweeper to figure out what is going on but i am seeing 75 GB of "Backups" for starters on the MBP and i am only seeing 0KB of backups on the Mac Pro.

since i have both Parallels and Virtual Box installed on the Mac Pro and since i only USE the Parallels on the Mac Pro (and only rarely use the Parallels on the MBP) i am at a total loss as to whether this is a Mavericks issue or a Parallels issue or a Virtual Box issue. i have tried to uninstall VB but so far i am not having any luck in getting this done.

anyone have any ideas?

TIA

mac book pro:

User uploaded file

mac pro:

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 10:45 AM

The backups are most likely local snapshots if you are using Time Machine.

Local Snapshots - About

Local Snapshots on Portable Macs

20 replies

Feb 14, 2014 11:04 AM in response to hotwheels22

If you're using TechTool Pro's default settings in its System Preferences pane, it has a function that takes periodic snapshots of the system. These very quickly eat up a ton of space. Turn that dumb thing off.

Then go to the folder where TTP keeps all of these snapshots and delete them. Go to the /Library/Application Support/TechTool Protection/ folder and delete everything in it.

Feb 14, 2014 11:17 AM in response to Kurt Lang

hi kurt. thank you!

i am running mavericks on the MBP and TTP6. i am running Mountain Lion on the Mac Pro.

for some reason i am not finding a system preferences pane in the pulldown items so i am looking in the "Test", "Tools" and "Reports" pullodowns under mode and i am not seeing anything.

if i got into the Application Support directory in Library (i hold down the Option Key if i recall correctly to see this item listed in the Go pulldown in Finder) i am only seeing a "Tech Tool Pro 6" folder that is under 200 KB. there dows not appear to be another folder that i am finding.

perhaps i need to look closer or maybe completely uninstall TTP or even to update it or something? i've been completely flummoxed on this one for months now to the extent that i am not even storing any data on the machine except for under 1 MB of files on the desktop...

THANKS

Feb 14, 2014 11:22 AM in response to Eric Root

hi eric. THANK YOU. this is driving me crazy. i run WhatSize and then OmniDiskSweeper and then look in the Mavericks Get Into for Apple Info for Storage and between the three of them it is a lot confusing.

do you know where i might find this file for TM? also, if this is in fact a TM issue it does not appear to be working correctly because taking up 75 GB of a 250 GB HD when i have a remote backup already happening wirelessly (including two other externals backed up as well) seems like it is not workable.

i mean, this makes total sense in the fact that i don't have any of these with my wired TM backup on the desktop machine but 75 GB means i don't have any space to put my data on because i was getting 15% HD available with TTP and at one point i had like very low HD space available so i just flat out moved it all off the machine (in terms of user created files...).

thanks

Feb 14, 2014 12:07 PM in response to hotwheels22

i run WhatSize and then OmniDiskSweeper

At least OmniDiskSweeper and I assume WhatSize only show the files of the account you run it on. They will not show root files or files from other accounts.

Lets see what other folks think of this. You could define the root account and run OmniDiskSweepe. This would let you examine all files and folders. Be careful, from what I read in your post you have full backup which is adviseable. Disable root when done.

Feb 14, 2014 1:05 PM in response to hotwheels22

for some reason i am not finding a system preferences pane in the pulldown items

That's odd. One of the things TTP6 does when you install it is it self installs a preference pane. Though I don't know what you mean by a pulldown item.

When you open the System Preferences, there should be an icon for TechTool, like the one at the lower right shown here:

User uploaded file

Click on that to bring up its feature settings. The second tab is the one that devours your disk space.

User uploaded file

Uncheck all of the drives shown and then turn it off by clicking the radio button.

if i got into the Application Support directory in Library (i hold down the Option Key if i recall correctly to see this item listed in the Go pulldown in Finder)

Wrong Library folder. Holding down the Option key leads you to the one in your user account. You want the main Library folder at the root of the drive. It's the one shown next to Applications, System, Users, etc.

Feb 14, 2014 1:26 PM in response to hotwheels22

do you know where i might find this file for TM? also, if this is in fact a TM issue it does not appear to be working correctly because taking up 75 GB of a 250 GB HD when i have a remote backup already happening wirelessly (including two other externals backed up as well) seems like it is not workable.

This is a new feature and snapshots will use up to approx. 80 - 85% (I believe) of your hard drive IF your laptop is not plugged into your TM drive. Once you plug it in, it will catch up and dispose of the snapshots. (I don't use TM so it's much better for you to look at the expert advice here).

See #30 here (as well as the contained link to an Apple kb article):

http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

Feb 14, 2014 1:59 PM in response to Kurt Lang

duh. i'm an idiot. i was looking for a "Preferences" in the pulldown menu items. so i've found the System Preferences section and it has a second item listing that says "Directory Backup" and the HD of my laptop is checked. i have to uncheck it to get it to stop being so helpful is that right Kurt?

OK. feeling like an idiot on #2 as well but i have found the correct folder in Library and it says "Tech Tool Protection". it seems like there are a lot of files in here including my personal HD name, my last name, and the name of the Toshiba HD that is in the system - as well as folders for the two hard drives that i back up this laptop to (not seeing the Time Machine in here for whatever reason). however, when i run a Get Info on the whole Tech Tool Protection folder it is only giving me 4.51 GB of data when About Mac is telling me this "Backup" is like 75 GB.

am i unchecking the HD name in the Directory Backup section, deleting everything in the folder and then pushing onward through the fog in search of other backups...

THANK YOU

Feb 14, 2014 2:06 PM in response to hotwheels22

i have to uncheck it to get it to stop being so helpful is that right Kurt?

Yup, that's the one! Also click the radio button to fully turn it off.

it seems like there are a lot of files in here including my personal HD name, my last name,

Yes, but don't worry about the names. That's just the utility keeping track of every drive that's ever been mounted on your Mac by name. It keeps its snapshots separated that way. But they have nothing to do with the real data on those drives. They're all just "backup" files.

Not the least bit surprised you found it hogging 75 GB of space. I actually thought it was going to be more. Notice that the default is to make a backup snapshot every 4 hours, but nowhere did the geniuses at Micromat give you an option to limit the number of backups it keeps, or number of days/weeks. It just keeps piling stuff into that folder until the hard drive is full.

There's really no reason to keep anything in the TechTool Protection folder. Just dump everything and get your space back.

Feb 14, 2014 2:09 PM in response to babowa

poor pondini. i can't figure out if i hope he gets karma by the number of posts he answers of by the number of hours he puts into answering them.

OK, so i love Time Machine as much as the next guy but this business with the wake/sleep with the MBP and this new stuff with snapshots is insane.

is this a Mavericks feature? help me out here. it is helpfully incrementally filling up my hard drive - without alerting me to this fact - so that it can save the data that it is incrementally forcing me to move /off/ the hard drive because the snapshot are slowly taking up so much space?

i mean, someone clue me if here (and i have posted to the Time Machine forum when i was totally desperate earlier in the day) but i am supposed to plug in my laptop to my Time Capsule because if it is not plugged in the HD will fill up with snapshots incrementally until i plug the device back into the wireless Time Capsule again?!

either that or i have to use a Terminal command to turn them off?

is there at least a way to see how much space they take up? or is that what About Mac in Mavericks is trying to show me...?

my head is spinning i am so confused.

wish this stuff behaved like my almost ten year old mac pro...

Feb 14, 2014 2:14 PM in response to Kurt Lang

hi kurt. always greatful to see your name here. i feel like a total bonehead with this one.

one thing i may have mis-typed however. i /did/ just now get in and uncheck this default checkbox.

however, the folder that i am going to delete (i guess you want me to delete the whole folder) is only showing 3.7 GB of data in GetInfo.

the 75 GB is what the Apple Icon > About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Storage Tab shows me under "Backups".

from what i can tell this means that i have 70 GB to go with the likely culprits being new Time Machine "features", some Parallels backup deal with the Virtual Machine, or some deal with the Virtual Box software that i just installed (and can't figure out how to properly uninstall...).

THANKS

Feb 14, 2014 2:18 PM in response to babowa

"...will use up to approx. 80 - 85% (I believe) of your hard drive IF your laptop is not plugged into your TM drive..."

i must be missing something. the whole point of getting a Time Capsule is to have it wirelessly back up my laptop. now they want me to plug it in periodically so that it will erase the 80% of my hard drive it is taking up or they want me to use Terminal to get it to stop?

are they trying to bridge some transition in the iplementation of upcoming OS'es with this or something?

Feb 14, 2014 2:46 PM in response to hotwheels22

I certainly wish Pondini was still with us (he passed away last year) as he'd be much better explaining TM, snapshots, etc, etc. All I know is what I've gathered reading his articles, posts, etc as I said I have chosen not to use TM at all - I use bootable clones instead. In any case, I am woefully ignorant about TM in general; I do know that the intent of the snapshots is if you're away from the TM backup that it temporarily backs up stuff until you plug it in - how that works when you back up wirelessly, only someone who is actually using this set up and has tested various scenarios would be able to answer. If you don't get an answer here and still have Applecare, I'd take advantage of it and call Apple or, stop by a Genius Bar and see just how genius they are with TM....

FWIW, I believe the overall reason for snapshots is the "the user won't have to worry about anything, it'll do all the backups automatically - just plug it in when you get home" thinking.

Feb 14, 2014 2:54 PM in response to hotwheels22

however, the folder that i am going to delete (i guess you want me to delete the whole folder) is only showing 3.7 GB of data in GetInfo.

the 75 GB is what the Apple Icon > About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Storage Tab shows me under "Backups".

Ah! Which is what babowa noted. She's most likely correct then that the majority of the consumed space is the TM snapshots waiting to be acted on when the TM backup drive is mounted.

Still, that's 3.7 GB of space you can reclaim from TechTool Pro.

250 GB MBP HD full up with no user documents (75 GB "backups")! Parallels, Virtual Box or Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.