Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to extend Network with AirPort Express / Time Capsule?

Hi,

I've been trying to get the following working for the past few days but didn't succeed because I'm more or less just trying out things without knowing what I really do...

What I have:

- Modem with WLAN functionality

- Time Machine

- AirPort Express

What I want it to be like:

- The modem should only be used to provide the internet for the two Apple products, not for a direct connection to the clients.

- The Time Machine and the AirPort Express are both connected to the modem directly via Ethernet.

- Time Machine and AirPort Express both provide a WLAN network while the modem doesn't.

- Time Machine and AirPort Express provide one WLAN network together (so if I'm in the one room where the AirPort Express and switch to the room where the Time Machine is my iPhone (or whatever) should automatically change the router).

What I'm not sure about yet:

- I've set the router-mode of the modem to Bridge and disabled the WLAN functionality

- Now I don't know which settings (in AirPort utilities) to choose for the two Apple products:

- In the tab Network: router-mode: If set to 'DHCP and NAT' I can only connect to the routers using an Ethernet cable, if set to 'Off (Bridge-mode)' I can only connect to the WLAN but not to the internet itself, if set to 'DHCP' I cannot even save the settings.

- In the tab Wireless: network-mode: I think it needs to be set to 'Create wireless network' since both routers are connected to the modem via Ethernet directly.

I've wasted so much time and aggressions because I don't know how to handle this setup and would be sooo thankful if someone could help me get this clean!

Best regards, Dominic

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 11:41 AM

What I have:

- Time Machine

I believe you intended to write Time Capsule. Time Machine is Apple's backup software.

If you configured your modem with WLAN functionality to act as a bridge, then configure either the Time Capsule or the AirPort Express - whichever one is directly connected to the modem - for DHCP and NAT. Connect the other Apple device to it, and configure it as a bridge.

In bridge mode, your modem/WLAN can serve only one client, so decide which it will be - the Express or Time Capsule.

- The modem should only be used to provide the internet for the two Apple products, not for a direct connection to the clients.

I don't know what you mean by "direct connection to the clients". Are the two Apple products not clients on your network? What are the other clients, and what do you mean by "direct"? Is there a reason you do not want them on the same network?

There are ways of constraining or limiting the devices you wish to connect to your network so more explanation is needed.

- In the tab Wireless: network-mode: I think it needs to be set to 'Create wireless network' since both routers are connected to the modem via Ethernet directly.

"Create" is correct but unless they are both connected to a router then choose one or the other.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2014 11:41 AM in response to Dominicolo

What I have:

- Time Machine

I believe you intended to write Time Capsule. Time Machine is Apple's backup software.

If you configured your modem with WLAN functionality to act as a bridge, then configure either the Time Capsule or the AirPort Express - whichever one is directly connected to the modem - for DHCP and NAT. Connect the other Apple device to it, and configure it as a bridge.

In bridge mode, your modem/WLAN can serve only one client, so decide which it will be - the Express or Time Capsule.

I don't know what you mean by "direct connection to the clients". Are the two Apple products not clients on your network? What are the other clients, and what do you mean by "direct"? Is there a reason you do not want them on the same network?

There are ways of constraining or limiting the devices you wish to connect to your network so more explanation is needed.

"Create" is correct but unless they are both connected to a router then choose one or the other.

How to extend Network with AirPort Express / Time Capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.