Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i don't understand why apps need to control my computer

hello,

curious...

why would NON-assistive apps need Accessibility control?

in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Accessibility > "Allow the apps below to control your computer."

i understand why handicap device apps would need this, but, so far, i have these apps requiring it...

- Overflow

- PopClip

- Screenhero

- Snagit

- Snapheal

i'm not handicap & don't have any assistive devices, yet these apps need to be here to work like i think they should work without. well, they used to anyways.

so, just not understanding this.

and, you know, the statement "allow the apps below to control your computer" kinda freaks me out ;-)

thanks!

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 10:53 AM

6 replies

Feb 14, 2014 7:48 PM in response to syberknight

syberknight wrote:

the statement "allow the apps below to control your computer" kinda freaks me out ;-)

Then it is doing its job as designed. 🙂 Always think twice before handing over your admin password. You are giving that developer full control over your machine and all of your data.

The assistive devices option is in the same category. Even if they don't ask for your password directly, they are taking such low-level control of your machine that they effectively don't need to ask for your password anymore. They can just take it.

To be fair, these apps are almost certainly not absuing this privilege they are asking for. They are just trying to do some low-level system magic that is normally not possible. Usually such abuse is discovered eventually.

i don't understand why apps need to control my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.