Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck in PHP Version 5.4.17 - revised question

I believe I've found a little more of the answer. But I do not know what it means, exactly.

I have installed php5-5.5.8-20140112-185654 . It is in /usr/local/php5-5.5.8-20140112-185654 . There is also an alias file at /usr/local/php5 which points to that file. There is a php.ini file in /usr/local/php5-5.5.8-20140112-185654/lib/php.ini .

There is also a php.ini file at /private/etc/php.ini . That is the file I believe I've been looking at and making changes in.

How can I make these differences work correctly? I've thought of simply putting an alias into /private/etc to the working file /usr/local/php5-5.5.8-20140112-185654. But I'm not sure how that would work with all the rest of things...

----------

(Previous info)

At this point I have several problems.
(1) I cannot tell exactly what install I am running. I installed PHP 5.5.8 from php-osx.liip.ch (as directed by the author, Kevin Skogland, of Lynda.com'si'PHP with MySQL Essential Training with Kevin Skoglund' at the section 'Configuring PHP'.).

But when I look in the browser at http://localhost/~rickeisner/my_phpinfo.php I see PHP Version 5.4.17 , not 5.5.8. And when I run php -v it shows the following:
$ php -v
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libltdl.7.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/php
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5

(2) Looking at http://localhost/~rickeisner/my_phpinfo.php I see:

Configuration File (php.ini) Path /etc
Loaded Configuration File (none)

(3) When I run a search for php.ini I get:

file:///usr/local/php5-5.5.8-20140112-185654/lib/php.ini

file:///private/etc/php.ini

I am running OS 10.9.1 on an iMac with 2.8 GHz processors and 16GB of RAM.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 16 GB RAM

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 1:46 PM

11 replies

Feb 14, 2014 7:31 PM in response to rickeisner

First of all, why do you need PHP 5.5? What is PHP 5.4 lacking? There are valid answers to that question. If you are coming from a Linux community and just want to have the latest and greatest, either give that up or start burning lots of time learning how to build your own LAMP stack. Some people do that for fun. Others don't.

If you want to run PHP 5.5 with your system install of Apache, you will have to build a compatible mod_php for your version of Apache, upgrade Apache too, or run PHP in CGI mode without mod_php and direct it to use your custom PHP. If all of that sounds complicated, give more thought to my first two questions.

Feb 19, 2014 8:02 PM in response to rickeisner

I am also running Mavericks Server and trying to figure out how to get Apache to run w/ PHP 5.5... my reason is that I had written some code that used some of the password hashing functions in PHP 5.5... and now it's broken when I publish to the server from my local install... in phpinfo i see that there is an override php.ini file in /Library/Server/Web/Config/php ... i can obviously write the functions by hand... but just figured it might be worth looking into upgrading...

etresoft.... If you want to run PHP 5.5 with your system install of Apache, you will have to build a compatible mod_php for your version of Apache, upgrade Apache too, or run PHP in CGI mode without mod_php and direct it to use your custom PHP. If all of that sounds complicated, give more thought to my first two questions.

in the above comment... is that referring to Mavericks Server? Thanks for any help you can provide....

Feb 20, 2014 10:09 AM in response to waldroje

Using the very latest and greatest versions can be a bit risky when you go to deploy. Unless you have full control over your server platform, you will only have what your hosting provider offers. If OS X Server is your server platform, you can certainly install PHP 5.5. It will take some work, but no more than it would take on Linux.

Mar 23, 2014 1:22 PM in response to waldroje

I've stumbled onto exactly the same problem:

I'm developing and hosting my own website and want php5.5 for password hash verification. I've tried installing php5.5 several times (using brew). I've also edited the apache configuration file and restarted the server...

Nothing seems to work.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Mar 24, 2014 7:56 AM in response to tsterk

tsterk wrote:

Etresoft: Any chance you could provide some instructional help? It isn't as easy as it seems.

I never said anything about it being easy. 🙂 My suggestion is to avoid dependencies on the latest and greatest version of anything. The only time you can really do that is if you have a dedicated Linux server and the skills and free time to recompile it all from scratch.

Stuck in PHP Version 5.4.17 - revised question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.