Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The battery in the iPhone4 has swollen up and pushed open the iPhone. The back glass has popped off and the inner frame is bent out of shape to accommodate the swollen battery.

I first noticed it was not holding charge. Then it would only work when plugged in. I bought a new iphone5s. But i went to give this one to someone else to use and discovered it had done this:

User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 1:56 PM

9 replies

Aug 28, 2014 10:43 AM in response to wegras

My iPhone 5 did the same thing and the batter kept shutting off prematurely. I took it to Apple today at lunch and they said they have a program to replace the swollen batteries at no cost to the consumer. I should get it tomorrow, they had to order it. I would ask Apple again if you aren't getting the answers you are looking for.

Oct 17, 2016 6:15 AM in response to TrinitilIdie

In response to this, I can safely say that you should NEVER do what jadancrazy12 did. Once your battery begins to swell, it's either time to ditch the battery or throw away your phone. When a Li-Ion battery swells, it's basically the last warning it gives you before it explodes. Attempting to burst the battery as jadan did may appear to fix the problem, but in most cases the battery would explode right there and then.

Large amounts of gases are forming inside the battery which are making it swell. Even if the battery doesn't explode, you've now put a hole in the exterior of what is essentially a container holding highly-reactive chemicals. If those don't brick the phone first, expect potential injury from those chemicals if they leak out and drip on to your skin.

Oct 17, 2016 7:28 AM in response to jadancrazy12

jadancrazy12 wrote:

I have a old iphone 4 the back was popping off I opended it up the battery was swollen I put mty finger tip on it made a horrble smell it popped somewhere the battery swelled down I popped the back on it was working fine my guess is if you need the iphone right way take out the battery do a pop tape it that worked for me for a while

Please, everyone, do NOT do this.

1. The battery casing puncturing or breaking internally can cause internal shorting and explosions, as is happening with Samsung Note 7 batteries. As long as the battery envelop is structurally still intact, this is not an issue but if you burst or pop internal seals, it may happen.

2. If the battery casing should rupture instead, you may be exposed to lithium metal, which is highly toxic.

DO NOT mess about yourself with a swollen battery. Take it to Apple, who at the very least will be able to safely handle it and dispose of the old battery.

The battery in the iPhone4 has swollen up and pushed open the iPhone. The back glass has popped off and the inner frame is bent out of shape to accommodate the swollen battery.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.